This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1688 / 52°10'7"N
Longitude: -1.5849 / 1°35'5"W
OS Eastings: 428489
OS Northings: 252358
OS Grid: SP284523
Mapcode National: GBR 5NH.VJR
Mapcode Global: VHBY2.HR09
Entry Name: Walton Hall Including Game Larder
Listing Date: 2 August 1972
Last Amended: 19 August 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1381986
English Heritage Legacy ID: 482351
Location: Wellesbourne and Walton, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV35
Civil Parish: Wellesbourne and Walton
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Walton d'Eivile St James
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
1901-1/5/186 Walton Hall including game larder
(Formerly Listed as:
Country house. 1858-62. By Sir George Gilbert Scott. For Sir
Charles Mordaunt, 10th Baronet. Limestone ashlar with flush
dressings of different type; slate roofs with ashlar ridge and
STYLE: Gothic Revival.
PLAN: L-plan: main range with quadrangular service range
attached to north-east angle tower. Main range: 3 storeys;
l0-window range including 3-window full-height projection to
right end and 5-stage angle tower to left adjoining projecting
2-storey service ranges round courtyard; 6-window front range
with 3-storey pavilion to right end.
EXTERIOR: string courses and top modillioned cornices with
arcaded parapets. Entrance has porch with cusped round arch on
polished granite shafts with foliate capitals; top cornice and
parapet; paired faceted-panelled doors.
Ground- and first-floor windows with leaf-trail to moulded
openings. 2 tall pointed cross-mullioned stair windows with
rosettes to tympana to left of entrance and similar
straight-headed stair window to left end. Other windows with
moulded cross-casements; ground-floor right has 3 windows
including central canted bay window with parapet; first floor
has 3 segmental-pointed 2-light windows above entrance and 3
to right end as to ground floor; second floor has simpler
windows, with 2-light stair window to left end.
5-stage tower has cross-casement windows, segmental-headed to
second stage, and paired 2-light windows with tympana to top
stage; corbelled parapet and pavilion roof with wrought-iron
cresting. Right return has conservatory with shouldered
lintels to cross-casements and some inserted doors; domical
roof. Left return, behind service range, has 2-storey wing
with canted end.
Garden front 5-window range with gabled forward break to left,
cross-wing to right end and 3-window range set back to left
end. 7-bay loggia with columns with foliate capitals to cusped
segmental arches, foliate corbels to arcaded balustrade.
Windows mostly have original cross-casements, with some
inserted C20 doors to ground floor, which has windows with
shouldered lintels, and canted bay to cross-wing; first floor
has windows with leaf trail to openings and shafts.
2-storey; 4-window service range adjacent to entrance front
has single- and 2-light windows; 3-storey pavilion has 2
straight-headed windows with paired trefoil-headed lights to
first floor, windows with cross-casements to second floor, and
ground-floor projection with transomed window of 3 lights with
shouldered lintels to return; parapet and pyramidal roof with
pierced iron panels to lantern.
North range has entrance with gabled flat porch and
single-chamfered cross-mullioned windows, some of 3 lights.
East range has low gable to left end and gable to right end;
segmental-pointed courtyard gateway with hood and flanking
offset buttresses; projecting first-floor stack to right
gable; single-chamfered mullioned and cross-mullioned windows,
and one C20 triangular roof dormer; clock-turret.
Courtyard has single-storey south range; mostly
single-chamfered mullioned windows with decorative iron
glazing bars and C20 dormers; 2 re-entrant stair projections.
Free-standing square structure, formerly meat and game
larders, to centre, with hipped graduated slate roof with
triangular dormers. South side has paired entrances with
shouldered lintels up steps, cross-mullioned window to each
return, and rear steps to basement entrance.
INTERIOR: entrance hall has 3-bay cusped round-arched arcade
on coloured marble columns with arms to capitals to 2 sides,
that to stair hall has upper arcade with segmental-pointed
arches; gallery to one side has arcade of segmental arches and
trefoil-arcaded balustrade; floor has inlaid flower motifs;
coffered timber ceiling; large richly carved fireplace has red
columns and corbels with figures of fisher and hunter; brass
and iron grate and 2 brass lamps to cornice; entrance has
paired half-glazed doors with tracery, other doors with
enriched cornices. Stair hall has similar details, the
open-well cantilevered stair has string with Tudor flower and
enriched iron balusters; 3-bay landing gallery.
FITTINGS: each hall has brass chandelier and armorial stained
glass. Other rooms retain enriched cornices and stone or
marble fireplaces. Dining room has fireplace similar to hall,
with figures of Summer and Winter. Ballroom comprising 3 rooms
opened into one in C20 has 2 marble fireplaces and large
paired doors to each end. 2 rooms to one end, formerly library
and billiard room, have early C19 marble fireplaces with
Classical details, the billiard room with stained-glass
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner, N & Wedgwood, A:
Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 440; Warwickshire Local
History Society Occasional Papers: Tyack G: The Country Houses
of Warwickshire 1800-1939: 1989-: 34-7).
Listing NGR: SP2848952358
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings