History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Wellesbourne, Warwickshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1945 / 52°11'40"N

Longitude: -1.595 / 1°35'42"W

OS Eastings: 427778

OS Northings: 255212

OS Grid: SP277552

Mapcode National: GBR 5N8.KJG

Mapcode Global: VHBY2.93MK

Entry Name: The Manor House

Listing Date: 20 July 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1382014

English Heritage Legacy ID: 482379

Location: Wellesbourne and Walton, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV35

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Wellesbourne and Walton

Built-Up Area: Wellesbourne

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Wellesbourne St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Wellesbourne Hastings

Listing Text


WELLESBOURNE

SP2655 CHESTNUT SQUARE
1901-1/12/229 (North side)
20/07/95 Wellesbourne Mountford
The Manor House

GV II

Manor house. 1857, incorporating elements of earlier house,
with 1880s rear extension. For Revd John Lucy. Brick with buff
headers; gabled tile roofs with brick end stacks and
cross-axial and end stacks to rear, all with diagonal shafts
and caps. Victorian-Tudor style. Irregular plan.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; asymmetrical 5-window range. 3 wide bays
break forward under gables with narrower bays between. Brick
plat bands and wide eaves and verges. Entrance to right of
centre has gabled hood and overlight to door. Windows have
sills and wood mullioned and transomed frames with decorative
glazing with elongated octagons; ground floor has central
segmental-headed window with 3-light glazing; similar,
narrower window to left with 2-light glazing; canted bay to
each end with hipped roof over 1:3:1-light glazing. First
floor has cross-mullioned windows, those to wide bays with
segmental heads and narrow glazed gable lights.
Rear gabled wing with range parallel to main range, with
small-paned cross-casements, small single-storey addition with
timber dovecote to gable and flat-roofed re-entrant block.
INTERIOR: ground floor has some chamfered beams; large C19
fireplace to right end has Tudor arch and cornice; stone
cellar walls.
HISTORY: the original house was the property of the Venour
family 1560-1857 and was then brought and rebuilt by the Revd
John Lucy of Charlecote and Hampton Lucy.
(Bolton, EMR & Bolton, PM: A Wellesbourne Guide: Wellesbourne
Mountford: Wellesbourne: 1989-: 20-21).


Listing NGR: SP2777855212

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.