This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5025 / 52°30'8"N
Longitude: -2.6472 / 2°38'49"W
OS Eastings: 356165
OS Northings: 289591
OS Grid: SO561895
Mapcode National: GBR BN.HJYX
Mapcode Global: VH83L.2CDG
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 12 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383399
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483817
Location: Abdon and Heath, Shropshire, TF13
Civil Parish: Abdon
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Holdgate
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
1312-1/12/207 Church of Holy Trinity
Church. C12 nave, C13 chancel and lower stage of tower, C15
upper stage of tower, restored 1894-5.
MATERIALS: stone rubble with ashlar dressings. Plain-tile roof
with ornamental ridge tiles and ashlar coped gables.
PLAN: chancel, nave with south porch, and west tower.
EXTERIOR: chancel with twin lancets in east wall. North wall
with restored pointed window with twin cusped lancet and
trefoil tracery, and lancet to right. South wall with
flat-headed window of triple cusped lancet tracery, lancet to
left. Pointed arched doorway to left. Sheila-na-gig set below
Nave: north wall with 3 buttresses with ovolo-chamfered twin
cusped lancet windows between. South wall with 3 buttresses
with window to right and far left of restored ovolo-chamfered
twin cusped lights with quatrefoil over. Round-arched Norman
south doorway to left with 3 orders of shafts with carved
capitals of volutes and foliage, hollow chamfered abaci,
carved decorative beakhead inner arch, looped middle ring and
zigzag outer ring and pellet and zigzag decorated hoodmould
over. Late C19 rebuilt south porch.
Tower: 2-stage tower with battered plinth and roll mould, 2
string courses at the upper stage, each incorporating
gargoyles, stepped buttresses of former west wall of nave
incorporated into tower walls, flat headed lancets on 3 faces
at the bottom stage, bell-openings on each face at upper
stage, with pointed arched openings, round-headed arched
opening to the north and twin square-headed to the east.
Battlemented parapet with carved corner pinnacles.
INTERIOR: plastered nave and exposed stone chancel. C19
scissor-truss chancel roof. Aumbry in north wall and piscina
in south wall set under reused pointed arched head. Restored
pointed chancel arch. Restored 3-bay single-purlin nave roof
with 3 arch-braced collar and tie beam trusses and 3
arch-braced collar intermediate trusses. C14 tomb recess with
shallow pointed arch on the south wall. West wall has
round-headed lancet at high level pre-dating the tower, C15
tower doorway with stepped segmental arch.
Simple box pews, mostly of C17 doors fixed to C16 bench ends
with ovolo-moulded caps, one has a small flat reading desk
attached dated 1707. Pair of Jacobean seats with carved
canopies against south wall and armorial bearings of 8
quarters over. Richly ornamented Norman chalice font said to
be of the C12 Herefordshire school of carving. Simple C17 to
C18 communion rails with turned balusters.
Listing NGR: SO5616489592
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings