This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4387 / 53°26'19"N
Longitude: -1.9528 / 1°57'10"W
OS Eastings: 403229
OS Northings: 393549
OS Grid: SK032935
Mapcode National: GBR GXTP.01
Mapcode Global: WHB9S.ZT7P
Entry Name: Church of St James the Great
Listing Date: 22 May 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384276
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484710
Location: High Peak, Derbyshire, SK13
District: High Peak
Town: High Peak
Electoral Ward/Division: Howard Town
Built-Up Area: Glossop
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Whitfield St James
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK0393NW HOLLINCROSS LANE, Whitfield
921-1/14/108 (South side)
Church of St James the Great
Parish church. 1844-46 by EH Shellard, chancel enlarged 1897
by Naylor and Sale, vestry added c1900. Coursed millstone grit
with ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roofs, coped gables with
kneelers and cross finials plus 4 octagonal nave pinnacles.
STYLE: Gothic Revival.
PLAN: nave of 5 bays with north and south aisles, north-west
tower with spire, south-west porch and chapel, south-east and
south-west chapels and vestry.
EXTERIOR: tower of 4 stages, with angle buttresses with
set-offs. Blind first stage, single lancets to second and
third stages and pairs of lancet bell openings to fourth
stage, topped with 4 corner pinnacles and tall octagonal stone
spire with lucarnes. West end has triple-arched entrance under
hoodmould with head terminals, that to south partially blocked
to form window, others with plank doors, strap hinges and
overlights. Above 8 lancets with shafts and continuous
hoodmould topped by rose window.
SW porch and chapel, 2 storey with angle buttresses with
set-offs. Pointed arched doorway to north with double doors
and continuous lancets, some blind, to first floor with above
set back frieze with trefoils.
Nave side elevations both have 5 pairs of tall lancets between
buttresses with set-offs.
South chapel set transeptally with 3 graduated lancets and
small shouldered arch doorway to left.
North chapel has two 2-light pointed arch windows with
continuous hoodmould and coped parapet.
Chancel has chamfered east end with tall 2-light pointed arch
windows with Y tracery and continuous sill band plus to east
single similar 3-light window.
INTERIOR: original north and south galleries removed and west
gallery altered. 5 bay nave arcades have piers with clustered
shafts and foliated capitals. Segmental arch to chancel,
2-centred to chapels. Roof with open arcading above principal
Furnishings include wooden linenfold panelling to sanctuary,
reredos with central carved Crucifixion scene, altar rails
with wrought-iron supports. Choir stalls with closed backs,
open frontals and fleur-de-lys finials. Eagle lectern,
elaborate wooden pulpit on clustered marble shaft base, the
panels with relief carving (1895).
Stained glass includes some of 1890 in north aisle and others
of c1930 reputedly by Morris & Co.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire: London:
1978-: 219; A History of Glossop and Whitfield Church and
Listing NGR: SK0322993549
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings