This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4625 / 53°27'45"N
Longitude: -1.9772 / 1°58'37"W
OS Eastings: 401612
OS Northings: 396195
OS Grid: SK016961
Mapcode National: GBR GXMD.RH
Mapcode Global: WHB9S.L7PD
Entry Name: Roman Catholic Church of St Charles Borromeo and Attached Presbytery
Listing Date: 22 May 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384309
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484743
Location: High Peak, Derbyshire, SK13
District: High Peak
Town: High Peak
Electoral Ward/Division: Hadfield North
Built-Up Area: Glossop
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Hadfield St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK0196SE WOOLLEY BRIDGE ROAD, Hadfield
921-1/4/50 (South side (off))
Roman Catholic Church of St Charles
Borromeo and attached Presbytery
Roman Catholic church and attached presbytery. 1858, by JG
Weightman, ME Hadfield and George Goldie, Lady chapel added
1888, alterations 1918-22 and north chancel chapel added 1940.
MATERIALS: coursed rock-faced millstone grit with ashlar
dressings and Welsh slate roofs with coped gables, kneelers
and cross finials.
STYLE: Gothic Revival.
PLAN: south-west tower, nave with north and south aisles and
north porch, chancel with north and south chapels. Presbytery
attached to south-east.
EXTERIOR: chamfered plinth. Tower with double chamfered plinth
has polygonal south-west stair turret, 3 stages with to south
2 round windows and above paired lancets in single pointed
arch opening, to west moulded pointed arch doorway with plank
door and elaborate iron hinges, above small lancet. Third
stage has single 2-light pointed arch bell openings to each
face, topped with ashlar parapet.
West front of nave has 2 small lancets and above 2 tall
lancets with between carved figure under gabled canopy, above
circular window with trefoil tracery. Aisle has double lancet
in single pointed arch surround.
North front has off-centre gabled porch with pointed arch
doorway and double plank doors with iron hinges. Single window
to right and 4 windows to left all double lancets in pointed
arch surrounds. Above 6 circular clerestory windows.
South front has 3 double lancets, gabled confessional and then
single triple lancet, above 6 circular clerestory windows.
East apsidal chancel has 2 circular clerestory windows to each
side and 3 tall lancets to east.
Presbytery attached to south-east by covered walkway. The
presbytery a double-gabled building with wing, clustered
stacks and porch, the windows with mullions and transoms.
INTERIOR: church plastered. 5 bay nave arcades with round
piers and cushion capitals with simple bases. Large chamfered
chancel arch. Nave roof with paired rafters with alternate
arched braces resting on carved stone corbels. Chancel roof
FITTINGS: include large freestone and marble reredos with
niches containing carved figures under crocketed and pinnacled
canopies and gilt angels to extreme left and right. Stone
altar with marble columns and carved angels flanking the crown
of thorns. Stone polygonal pulpit with carved scenes, on
marble shafts, 1894. Stone font on pedestal with claws. Many
of the wooden fittings date from the 1930s and 1950s.
STAINED GLASS: includes south aisle windows by Mayer & Co of
Listing NGR: SK0161296195
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings