History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

26, 27, 30 AND 32, MARKET PLACE (See details for further address information)

A Grade II Listed Building in Wigan Central, Wigan

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5464 / 53°32'46"N

Longitude: -2.632 / 2°37'55"W

OS Eastings: 358220

OS Northings: 405712

OS Grid: SD582057

Mapcode National: GBR BW1F.ZG

Mapcode Global: WH97Y.J4W3

Entry Name: 26, 27, 30 AND 32, MARKET PLACE (See details for further address information)

Listing Date: 11 July 1983

Last Amended: 8 December 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384488

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484922

Location: Wigan, WN1

County: Wigan

Electoral Ward/Division: Wigan Central

Built-Up Area: Wigan

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Wigan All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Ince-in-Makerfield

Listing Text


WIGAN

SD5805NW MARKET PLACE
24-1/7/36 (North side)
11/07/83 Nos.26, 27, 30 AND 32
(Formerly Listed as:
MARKET PLACE
Nos.26-38 (Even))

GV II

Includes: Nos.1-5 MARKET STREET.
Block of 5 shops with offices over. Dated 1904 on gable
jetty-bressumer; by Heaton, Ralph and Heaton; slightly
altered. Red brick in English garden wall bond, with sandstone
dressings, some timber-framing, and red tiled roof. Curved
round corner site. Eclectic style combining Edwardian Baroque
with C16 vernacular timber-framing.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, 3+3+3 bays as a whole, in a symmetrical
composition centred on the 3-bay curved corner. The ground
floor has altered shop fronts mostly with plain frieze and
moulded cornice; the 1st floor has windows with blocked
columnar architraves (2, 2 and 3 lights to Market Street, 1, 1
and 2 lights to the corner, 3, 2 and 2 lights to Market
Place), banded piers between the windows with carved panels in
the topmost band. At 2nd floor the corner is featured with a
central Baroque turret which has tourelles, a round-headed
window with blocked colonnettes, run-out voussoirs and a
keystone carried up to the scalloped corbel of an octagonal
upper stage with ogival domed roof and tall finial; and
flanked by transomed 6-light windows in the outer bays. The
side ranges are featured with slightly jettied ornamental
timber-framing including a shallow canted 8-light oriel in
each bay (those to Market Place with original wooden mullions
and transoms, and leaded glazing with coloured tear-drop
junctions, but those to Market Street replaced), and gables
with brattished jetty bressumers lettered "1904" and
oversailing bargeboarded verges with and finials. Tall brick
ridge chimneys with stone cornices.
INTERIOR not inspected.
Forms group with No.34 (qv) and Nos 36 and 38 (qv) in matching
style to the right.


Listing NGR: SD5827405672

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.