This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5395 / 53°32'22"N
Longitude: -2.6396 / 2°38'22"W
OS Eastings: 357708
OS Northings: 404946
OS Grid: SD577049
Mapcode National: GBR BW0H.BX
Mapcode Global: WH97Y.F98F
Entry Name: Swan Meadow Works Western Number 3 Mill
Listing Date: 13 July 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384529
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484964
Location: Wigan, WN3
Electoral Ward/Division: Douglas
Built-Up Area: Wigan
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Wigan St James with St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SD50SE SWAN MEADOW ROAD
24-1/5/80 (West side (off))
13/07/94 Swan Meadow works, Western No.3 Mill
Cotton spinning mill, comprising spinning block with
associated boiler house, chimney and engine house, and beaming
and reeling block; now mostly sports equipment warehouse.
Dated 1900. By AH Stott & Sons, for Farington Eckersley & Co.
SPINNING BLOCK of common brick in English garden wall bond,
with sandstone dressings (roof concealed but probably
asphalt). Large rectangular plan on east-west axis, with
entrance tower on north side (and large C20 addition in front
of upper floors of this). 4 storeys, 24:1:8 windows; with
panelled corner pilasters (coupled at west corner); large
segmental-headed windows (now covered with translucent
screens), those at ground floor and 3rd floor with sillbands,
and those at 3rd floor with keystones. Square tower rising
2 stages above parapet, with stone bands, string courses,
balustraded parapet and lead-clad pyramidal roof; pedimented
doorway at ground floor (now in tunnel formed by additions
above), small 3-light mullioned window to 4th floor, large
5-light mullioned window to 5th floor, with swept stone
pediment inscribed "1900".
ENGINE HOUSE attached at right-angles to rear, almost to full
height of main range, has stone bands and string courses, and
a very large Venetian-style round-headed window (now boarded)
with pilastered surround and moulded stone head with large
keystone, and pediment incorporated in parapet.
BOILER HOUSE, projecting from west angle of engine house, is
single-storey, and gabled.
CHIMNEY, linked to west of boiler house, octagonal, tapered,
but lacking oversail.
FORMER BEAMING BLOCK, on north-south axis to west of all these
elements and slightly set-back to south, 3 unequal storeys,
with corner pilasters and coped parapet with central upstand
inscribed "1900", has loading door in centre of ground floor
(protected by large wooden canopy), and segmental-headed
windows to the upper floors.
All these elements formerly a single functional entity. Forms
part of important group of cotton mills and associated
structures on this site, collectively a very striking feature
close to Wigan Pier.
Listing NGR: SD5770804946
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings