History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Swan Meadow Works Gatehouse and Offices and Attached Winding Rooms

A Grade II Listed Building in Douglas, Wigan

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.5413 / 53°32'28"N

Longitude: -2.6396 / 2°38'22"W

OS Eastings: 357713

OS Northings: 405146

OS Grid: SD577051

Mapcode National: GBR BW0H.B9

Mapcode Global: WH97Y.F891

Plus Code: 9C5VG9R6+G5

Entry Name: Swan Meadow Works Gatehouse and Offices and Attached Winding Rooms

Listing Date: 13 July 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384531

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484966

Location: Douglas, Wigan, WN3

County: Wigan

Electoral Ward/Division: Douglas

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Wigan

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Wigan St James with St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Tagged with: Gatehouse

Find accommodation in



24-1/2/82 (West side (off))
13/07/94 Swan Meadow works, gatehouse,
offices and attached winding rooms


Offices to large cotton mill complex, with attached winding
range; now in multiple occupation. Dated 1904 over doorway and
1912 in gablet of parapet; altered. Facades of glazed red
brick with matching terracotta dressings, hipped slate roof;
rear and north side of red brick. Irregular plan on corner
site, facing east to Swan Meadow Road, with convex corner to
Pottery Lane at north end and slightly concave return wall to
that road. Edwardian Baroque style.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, a 13-window range, with entrance in 7th
bay, offices to left and winding range to right; a terracotta
string course over ground floor to left, a similar sillband to
both portions, and a terracotta tiled parapet to the whole
including one balustraded portion and 3 upstands, the parapet
of the portion to the right having a gablet with terracotta
panels lettered "ECKERSLEYS" "LIMITED" flanking a diamond
motif lettered "A / 1912 / D". The doorway in the 7th bay has
an elaborate terracotta architrave with panelled pilasters
bearing consoles, frieze lettered "OFFICES", cornice with
egg-and-dart enrichment and broken segmental pediment lettered
"1904". There is one wide segmental-headed window at ground
floor to the left, but all other windows are square-headed
with shouldered architraves incorporating triple key-blocks,
and have dentilled wooden transoms and 3-pane upper lights.
The left return (facing the entrance to Swan Meadow Works),
2:1:2 windows has (inter alia) an oriel window in the centre
flanked by windows like those at the front, and mostly
flat-arched windows at ground floor. The return to Pottery
Lane is plainer.
Forms part of important group of cotton mills and ancillary
buildings on this site, collectively a very striking feature
close to Wigan Pier.

Listing NGR: SD5771305146

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.