This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8579 / 50°51'28"N
Longitude: -3.5112 / 3°30'40"W
OS Eastings: 293734
OS Northings: 107571
OS Grid: SS937075
Mapcode National: GBR LH.V6B9
Mapcode Global: FRA 36JT.XLJ
Entry Name: Bickleigh Bridge (That Part Which Lies in the Borough of Tiverton)
Listing Date: 12 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384693
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485147
Location: Tiverton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16
Civil Parish: Tiverton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Tiverton St Paul, West Exe
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
848-1/8/45 (West side)
12/02/52 Bickleigh Bridge (that part which
lies in the Borough of Tiverton)
Road bridge over the River Exe. 1610-1630. Widened and largely
rebuilt 1809 at a cost of »1000 after flood damage. Local
stone rubble, mostly volcano trap; an original timber core
revealed during repairs.
5-span bridge with parapates and cutwaters. The spans are not
equal in length and the arches differ in height and form.
Judging from the intrados of the arches and the shorter, more
regular, cutwaters on the upstream side, the bridge has been
widened by approximately 2m.
The second and third spans from the left on the downstream
side have segmented arches with mouldings round the arch rings
and tall cutwaters with pyramidal caps, the left-hand cutwater
and pier are wider than the others.
The right-hand span and first span from the left have lower
depressed segmental arches with arch ring mouldings; the
left-hand span appears to be later, segmental with no
The cutwater to the right of this arch is a right-angled
triangle on plan. On the upstream side the cutwaters are lower
and have been repaired with iron bands; no mouldings to the
arches. Coped parapets with some repair in concrete: the
structure of the bridge has also been repaired using iron
The opposite end of the bridge is listed in the Parish of
Listing NGR: SS9373407571
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings