History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bowdens Warehouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Barnstaple, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0815 / 51°4'53"N

Longitude: -4.0593 / 4°3'33"W

OS Eastings: 255852

OS Northings: 133371

OS Grid: SS558333

Mapcode National: GBR KQ.D5H3

Mapcode Global: FRA 26D8.6DQ

Entry Name: Bowdens Warehouse

Listing Date: 31 August 1988

Last Amended: 29 September 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1385076

English Heritage Legacy ID: 485537

Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX31

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Barnstaple

Built-Up Area: Barnstaple

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Barnstaple St Peter and St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Barnstaple

Listing Text


BARNSTAPLE

SS5533SE BULL COURT
684-1/7/78 (North side (off))
31/08/88 Bowdens Warehouse
(Formerly Listed as:
BULL COURT
(South side)
Bowden Warehouse)

GV II

Warehouse, probably built for fellmongers in 1860s. Red brick
piers with panels of weatherboarded timber-framing between
them. Slated roof. Red brick chimney at left-hand (east) end
of rear wall. Plan oblong, 1 room deep. The building is set
well back from Bull Court behind a courtyard, the latter with
late C20 buildings on left-hand side.
3 storeys. 3-bay band on piers at first and 2nd-floor levels.
Ground storey largely bricked in. Upper storeys retain
weatherboarding. Irregular fenestration. Each of the 2
right-hand windows in the 2nd storey has a large 9-pane
window. Third storey has 2 windows in left-hand bay: 6-paned
sash to left, 2-light casement with 4-paned transom-light to
right. No windows in right-hand bay; middle bay has a 5-paned
transom-light, possibly relating to a larger blocked window.
Rear and side walls are all visible from either Bull Court or
Green Lane. Rear wall has similar fenestration to front. Side
walls have plain, windowless weatherboarding between the
corner piers, except for solid rendered side wall in ground
storey to right, facing Green Lane. These seem to be the
fellmongery premises which Gardiner described in 1897 as
having been erected 30 years previously in Bull Court by Mr H
Balment. They were later sold to the Barnstaple Bridge Trust
and diverted to other uses.
(Gardiner WF: Barnstaple, 1837-97: Barnstaple: 1897-: 86-7).


Listing NGR: SS5585233371

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.