History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former United Reformed Church

A Grade II* Listed Building in Kersal, Salford

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5157 / 53°30'56"N

Longitude: -2.2549 / 2°15'17"W

OS Eastings: 383196

OS Northings: 402138

OS Grid: SD831021

Mapcode National: GBR DG2.FQ

Mapcode Global: WHB98.BWHQ

Entry Name: Former United Reformed Church

Listing Date: 18 January 1980

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1386187

English Heritage Legacy ID: 471612

Location: Salford, M7

County: Salford

Electoral Ward/Division: Kersal

Built-Up Area: Salford

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Kersal Moor St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Prestwich

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 21/06/2012


SD80SW
949-1/2/113
18/01/80


SALFORD
MONTPELLIER MEWS
(South side)
Former United Reformed Church


(Formerly listed as United Reformed Church, Upper Park Road)


II*


Congregational church, later United Reformed church now
disused. 1872-4. By SW Dawkes. Coursed and squared rubble with
Welsh slate roof laid in scalloped bands with ridge cresting.
Decorated style, robustly detailed. Conventional plan with
nave, 2 aisles, transepts, northern vestry and office range,
and SE tower and spire.
EXTERIOR: 3-stage tower with foiled windows and paired bell
chamber lights with clustered shafts. Angle buttresses with
gablets and heavy pinnacles to flying buttresses, and spire
with lucarnes. W door beneath tower with polished granite
shafts and ball flower decoration to moulded archway beneath
steep hoodmould. Paired Decorated lights over. 5-light rose
window to S of nave, and paired lancets over trefoiled arched
doorway to W aisle. Three 3-light windows to aisles. Transepts
with angle buttresses, and 4-light foiled window.
Triple gabled northern range, reading externally like a
chancel, but housing vestries with meeting room over. Blind
arcading carried on shafts with foliate capitals to ground
floor with some inset lancet windows, continuing round the
entire north end. 3 lancet windows over in E wall, and ball
flower cornice. 5-light rose window to wide central N gable,
3-light rose window in right-hand gable. Canted apsidal
stair-turret projects from left-hand gable, with raking stone
roof in 2 tiers and cusped hoodmoulds to lancet windows.
INTERIOR: 5-bay arcade with clustered red sandstone shafts on
high white stone bases, foliate capitals and ball-flower
decoration in the deeply moulded arches. Arches to shallow
transepts higher and wider. Curved principal roof trusses
carrying collar beams spring from foliate corbels. Some
wind-bracing over platform. Complex timber vaulting over
transepts. Willis organ in west transept. Raised platform to
N, with panelled reredos with foliate capitals and trefoiled
windows. 5-light Decorated window above, into meeting room,
glazed in 1885. 3-light windows from aisles also originally
open to meeting hall and subsequently glazed. SE bay of arcade
partly filled by base of tower, and divided as 2-paired
trefoiled arches with intermediate pier carrying carved angel
beneath quatrefoil panel with foliate decoration. Original
seating survives. Simple emblematic stained glass throughout,
much of it now destroyed or damaged. 3 vestries opening off
corridor behind N wall of body of church with meeting room
over, originally intended to double as additional space for
Sunday services, the windows acting as unglazed screens.

Listing NGR: SD8319602138

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.