This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8968 / 51°53'48"N
Longitude: -2.0741 / 2°4'26"W
OS Eastings: 394997
OS Northings: 222028
OS Grid: SO949220
Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.4FD
Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.0LC9
Plus Code: 9C3VVWWG+P9
Entry Name: Numbers 47 to 55 Including Playhouse Theatre (Numbers 49-53) playhouse Theatre
Listing Date: 12 March 1955
Last Amended: 26 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386700
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474096
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL53
Electoral Ward/Division: College
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham St Luke and St John
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9422SE BATH ROAD
630-1/13/154 (North West side)
12/03/55 Nos.47-55 (Odd)
including Playhouse Theatre
(Formerly Listed as:
(Montpellier Slipper Baths and Civic
Playhouse) and No.55)
Includes: Playhouse Theatre ORIEL ROAD.
Originally Montpellier Baths, now playhouse, and corner shop
with house. c1800-1810 with later additions and alterations.
Baths built for Henry Thompson, altered 1869 for Edward
EXTERIOR: main range: single storey with 3 Doric entrances and
10 window-range; with shop to left of 2-low storeys, 1+2
first-floor windows and range to right of 3 storeys, 1
first-floor window. Entrances have double doors and are
recessed with 2 Doric columns and pilasters in antis, with
panelled pilasters to either side surmounted by frieze
(missing except to left), continuous cornice and low parapet
with crowning central upshot with acroteria and central coat
of arms. Central 3 windows (now blocked) have tooled
architraves, 6/6 sashes where original, otherwise blocked or
part-blocked, all in plain reveals. Range to right has 6/6
sashes to ground and first floors and 3/3 sash to second
floor, all in plain reveals; continuous sill bands to first
and second floors; entrance at left a 4-panel door. Crowning
blocking course and copings, gable end ramps upwards to stack
at right. Range to left has pilaster strips between windows
and first-floor band; plate glass shop window to left; blind
opening and replacement to first floor. Entrance to angle a
plate glass door with blind window above.
Left return: 2-storeys, 5 first-floor windows. Plinth. 2/2
horizontal-pane sashes with lugs in plain reveals and with
sills; central entrance a 6-panel door with fanlight and
tooled arch on consoles. Further opening a segmental-arched
carriage opening with double plank doors.
INTERIOR: 1983 List notes inscription: 'Laboratory for the
real Cheltenham Salts', no longer visible. Otherwise not
HISTORICAL NOTE: Henry Thompson built Hygeia House, now
Vittoria House, Vittoria Walk (qv) for his own occupation, in
which he started the original Montpellier Spa.
A remarkably early and complete example of its type.
(The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale
and The Forest of Dean: London: 1970-: 144).
Listing NGR: SO9500422043
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings