History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hadley House and Attached Balustrade

A Grade II Listed Building in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8974 / 51°53'50"N

Longitude: -2.0827 / 2°4'57"W

OS Eastings: 394408

OS Northings: 222101

OS Grid: SO944221

Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.VPX

Mapcode Global: VH947.VKBS

Entry Name: Hadley House and Attached Balustrade

Listing Date: 12 March 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1386738

English Heritage Legacy ID: 474134

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cheltenham

Town: Cheltenham

Electoral Ward/Division: Lansdown

Built-Up Area: Cheltenham

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Cheltenham Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cheltenham

Listing Text


CHELTENHAM

SO9422SW BAYSHILL ROAD
630-1/12/192 (West side)
12/03/55 Hadley House and attached balustrade

GV II

Villa and attached balustrade. c1839-42 with later additions
and alterations including c1950-70 range at rear. Brick with
painted stucco facades and slate roof, with iron balustrade.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 3 first-floor windows. Full-height Doric
pilasters between windows and to ends, frieze, architrave and
cornice. First-floor band with recessed panel between
pilasters to outer bays. Central pedimented portico of 2 pairs
of Ionic columns and 2 engaged Doric pilasters, frieze,
cornice. Flight of renewed roll-edged steps to 4-panel door
between side-lights under continuous overlight with glazing
bars. Ground floor has tripartite windows with 1/1 between
narrow 1/1 sashes; 1/1 sashes with lugs throughout in plain
reveals and with sills, those to first floor have tooled
architraves. Central and rear stacks. Returns have mainly 2/2
sashes, some blind; ground-floor surrounds are tooled.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: balustrade to sides of porch has
anthemion motif.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the Bayshill Estate was developed by a joint
stock company which purchased land from the Skillicorne family
in 1837. By 1843, Henry Davies described, 'a number of
detached villas .. several of which are occupied by resident
families of affluence and station, and others are in an
unfinished state'. The company was bankrupt by c1845 when
architect Samuel Onley bought much Bayshill property, and so
Pevsner suggests that other houses in Bayshill Road were built
to his designs.
Little, one of a 'superb group (of villas) that make Bayshill
Road one of the great roads for architecture in all England'.
(Little B: Cheltenham: London: 1952-: 76; The Buildings of
England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale and The Forest of
Dean: London: 1970-: 147).


Listing NGR: SO9440822101

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.