This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8988 / 51°53'55"N
Longitude: -2.0737 / 2°4'25"W
OS Eastings: 395027
OS Northings: 222254
OS Grid: SO950222
Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.Y9T
Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.0JLQ
Entry Name: Numbers 6 to 11 and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 12 March 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386770
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474169
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: College
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9522SW CAMBRAY PLACE
630-1/14/221 (North side)
12/03/55 Nos.6-11 (Consecutive)
and attached railings
Terrace of 6 houses (now houses, flats and commercial
buildings) with attached railings. Numbered right to left,
described left to right. c1810-30: most of the terrace shown
on the Post Office Map of 1820 (with a possible gap to east,
Nos 6 and 7), all shown on Merrett's 1834 map. Railings
supplied by W Wheeler; balustrades manufactured by Carron
Company. Brick with stucco facades and slate roof; iron
verandahs (except to No.11) and forecourt railings throughout.
Double depth plan with service ranges to rear.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with basement, 18 first-floor windows (3
per house). Stucco detailing includes: rustication to ground
floor drawn into voussoirs over openings; floor bands; frieze,
cornice and blocking course. Basement, first and second floors
have 6/6 sashes, taller to first floor; 1/1 replacement sashes
to ground floor; all in plain reveals and with sills.
Entrances (3 to left, 3 to right): flights of steps to 5- and
6-panel doors between pilaster strips and side-lights with
wide fanlights with batwing-and-circle glazing.
INTERIOR: not inspected, but some shutters visible.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: first-floor verandahs to all except No.11
have heart-and-anthemion motif to balustrades, probably
supplied by W Wheeler who supplied the railings to Nos 6-9
(name on urn finials); area railings throughout have stick
balusters and lattice panels, some reset; spearhead railings
to sides of steps and between plots, some with anthemion
finials to street. Ground-floor window boxes to No.10 have
HISTORICAL NOTE: Cambray Place was a wide avenue leading to
Cambray House, at one time rented to the Duke of Wellington
but since demolished and replaced by a mid-C20 block of flats.
(The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale
and The Forest of Dean: London: 1992-: 145; Chatwin A:
Cheltenham's Ornamental Ironwork: Cheltenham: 1975-1984: 37;
Radford S: The Terraced Houses of Cheltenham 1800-1850: 1992-:
40-48; Merrett HS: Plan of the Town of Cheltenham: 1834-).
Listing NGR: SO9501622241
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings