This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8982 / 51°53'53"N
Longitude: -2.0737 / 2°4'25"W
OS Eastings: 395024
OS Northings: 222189
OS Grid: SO950221
Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.YB0
Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.0KK5
Entry Name: Westminster House and Attached Area Railings
Listing Date: 5 May 1972
Last Amended: 26 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386775
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474174
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: College
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham St Luke and St John
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9522SW CAMBRAY PLACE
630-1/14/225 (South East side)
Westminster House and attached area
(Formerly Listed as:
Cavendish House Galleries)
Villa, now offices with attached area railings. c1810-1820:
shown on the Post Office Map of 1820, with later alterations.
Ashlar over brick, now stuccoed, with concealed roof and
renewed brick end stacks; wrought-iron area railings. Double
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys on basement, 3 first-floor windows.
First-floor band, eaves band and low parapet. Steps to central
entrance, 6-fielded-panel double doors with fanlight with
decorative glazing in distyle Ionic porch with architrave,
frieze, cornice and blocking course. Ground floor has
tripartite windows, 6/6 between 2/2 sashes in shallow-arched
recessed with fan ornament in tympana and aprons below. First
floor has 6/6 sashes in plain reveals. Second floor removed.
INTERIOR: renewed to ground floor, otherwise not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: area railings have X-motif.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Cambray Place was laid out as an avenue
leading to Cambray House, at one time rented by the Duke of
Wellington but since demolished and replaced by a mid-C20
block of flats.
A similar design to No.27 (qv).
Listing NGR: SO9502422189
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings