History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mark

A Grade II Listed Building in St Mark's, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8966 / 51°53'47"N

Longitude: -2.1055 / 2°6'19"W

OS Eastings: 392837

OS Northings: 222014

OS Grid: SO928220

Mapcode National: GBR 2M9.2HN

Mapcode Global: VH947.GL8D

Entry Name: Church of St Mark

Listing Date: 14 December 1983

Last Amended: 26 November 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1386790

English Heritage Legacy ID: 474189

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL51

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cheltenham

Town: Cheltenham

Electoral Ward/Division: St Mark's

Built-Up Area: Cheltenham

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Cheltenham St Mark

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cheltenham

Listing Text


CHELTENHAM

SO92SW CHURCH ROAD
630-1/1/241 (North West side)
14/12/83 Church of St Mark
(Formerly Listed as:
CHURCH ROAD
Parish Church of St Mark)

GV II

Parish church. 1860-66, with transepts of 1888. Architect,
John Middleton, his earliest in Cheltenham; builder, John
Alcock, with tower-spire built by Messers Wingate and Sons of
Gloucester. Cost ยป3,540. Drilled Cotswold stone with Bath
stone quoins and dressings, Forest of Dean stone forming
alternating polychromy in voussoirs; red tile roof. Gothic
Revival, Decorated style.
PLAN/EXTERIOR: 5-bay aisled nave with double transepts and
2-bay chancel; 3-stage tower to west with corner pinnacles and
broach spire. Central gabled south porch. Circular clerestory
windows with cusped and foiled tracery. Angle buttresses.
Chancel has carved head-stops to drips and carved decoration
to buttresses.
INTERIOR: Decorated style interior with tall chancel arch and
west tower arch, stone pulpit with naturalistic carving,
medievalising red/buff tiles in the sanctuary, choir stalls,
font with naturalistic carving and benches in the nave. Raked
gallery in the west tower. The east window (c1880) has glass
by Kempe.
HISTORICAL NOTE: John Middleton designed several churches in
Cheltenham including All Saints, All Saints Road (qv); St
Philip and St James, Gratton Road (qv); St Stephen, St
Stephen's Road (qv); and Holy Apostles, London Road, Charlton
Kings (qv).
(Sampson A and Blake S: A Cheltenham Companion: Cheltenham:
1993-: 116; Blake S: Cheltenham's Churches and Chapels AD
773-1883: Cheltenham: 1979-: 36-7; Sladen T: Notes: 1995-).

Listing NGR: SO9283722014

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.