History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Camden House

A Grade II Listed Building in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9048 / 51°54'17"N

Longitude: -2.0723 / 2°4'20"W

OS Eastings: 395124

OS Northings: 222916

OS Grid: SO951229

Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.JX9

Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.1DB5

Entry Name: Camden House

Listing Date: 5 May 1972

Last Amended: 26 November 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1386844

English Heritage Legacy ID: 474255

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cheltenham

Town: Cheltenham

Electoral Ward/Division: Pittville

Built-Up Area: Cheltenham

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Cheltenham St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cheltenham

Listing Text


CHELTENHAM

SO9522NW CLARENCE ROAD
630-1/10/259 (North side)
05/05/72 Camden House
(Formerly Listed as:
CLARENCE SQUARE
(East side)
Holy Trinity Vicarage)

GV II

Villa. 1834-5. Stucco over brick with flat-topped hipped slate
roof and end stucco stacks.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys on basement, 3 first-floor windows and
with service range set back to right. First floor has 6/6
sashes. Ground floor has 1/1 sashes, the two to right have
blind boxes; all windows in plain reveals and with sills.
Central entrance in distyle mutular Doric porch with triglyphs
and metopes. Frieze, cornice, blocking course; stacks
incorporated in raised parapet. Garden facade (west, to
Clarence Square): 3-window range. first floor has 6/6 sashes
in tooled architraves, otherwise 1/1 sashes and Victorian bay
with tripartite 1/1 sashes. Attic to north.
INTERIOR: noted as retaining original joinery, including
shutters.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: window guards to ground floor, west
facade. Blind boxes to ground floor, right of main facade.
HISTORICAL NOTE: built as part of the development of this area
undertaken for Joseph Pitt in 1825-42, the general layout
being designed by the architect John Forbes. Clarence Square
was laid out in the late 1820s, building began in 1832. This
was the vicarage for Church of the Holy Trinity, Portland
Street (qv). The Square was named after the Duke of Clarence,
who became William IV in 1830.
Occupies a corner site at the junction of Clarence Square and
Clarence Road.
(Blake S: Pittville: 1824-1860: Cheltenham: 1988-: 37,58).

Listing NGR: SO9512522918

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.