This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9044 / 51°54'15"N
Longitude: -2.0724 / 2°4'20"W
OS Eastings: 395116
OS Northings: 222879
OS Grid: SO951228
Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.JW9
Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.1D8D
Entry Name: Tyndale and Clarence Lodge and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 12 March 1955
Last Amended: 26 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386847
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474258
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Pittville
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9522NW CLARENCE ROAD
630-1/10/262 (South side)
12/03/55 Tyndale and Clarence Lodge and
(Formerly Listed as:
Tyndale and Clarence Lodge)
Pair of semi-detached villas and attached railings. 1834,
probably by Robert Stokes, architect. Stucco over brick with
concealed roof, brick and stucco central stacks and iron
railings and balconies.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, with attic to Tyndale, and basements, 6
first-floor window range (3 per house), the outer 1-window
ranges have porches to ground floor and are recessed to first
floor; each with range to rear. Stucco detailing includes
pilaster strips to ground-floor, central 4-window range,
surmounted by rusticated segmental arches (forming wide,
shallow window recesses); first-floor band surmounted by Ionic
columns to ends and between windows of central range;
architrave, frieze and cornice with blocking course. 6/6
sashes throughout in tooled architraves; except basements have
8/8 sashes. End entrances: flights of roll-edged steps to
part-glazed doors, with overlight to Tyndale and in surround
with Doric pilasters; and to Clarence Lodge a fanlight, in
shallow distyle Doric porch; both have frieze with triglyphs
and metopes, cornice and blocking course. Attic dormers to
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: stick balusters to sides of steps,
wreathed handrail to Clarence Lodge. Lancet railings to left
of Tyndale. Ground-floor balconies on fluted stucco pillars
have scrolled lozenge pattern balconies derived from LN
Cottingham (plate 16). (Similar balconies elsewhere in
Clarence Square (qqv)).
HISTORICAL NOTE: part of the Pittville Estate, built as part
of the development of this area undertaken for Joseph Pitt in
1825-42, the general layout being designed by the architect
John Forbes. Tyndale and Clarence Lodge were originally known
as 1 and 2 Pittville Terrace North, Clarence Road was renamed
after the Duke of Clarence, who became William IV in 1830.
Tyndale sold to James de Vitre, esq for »1600, 2 Dec 1834;
Clarence Lodge sold to Mary Carden, widow for »1410, 12 Oct
(Sampson A and Blake S: A Cheltenham Companion: Cheltenham:
1993-: 30; Blake S: Pittville: 1824-1860: Cheltenham: 1988-:
37,58; Chatwin A: Cheltenham's Ornamental Ironwork:
Cheltenham: 1975-1984: 35).
Listing NGR: SO9510622876
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings