This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9043 / 51°54'15"N
Longitude: -2.07 / 2°4'12"W
OS Eastings: 395279
OS Northings: 222862
OS Grid: SO952228
Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.KH9
Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.2DJJ
Entry Name: White House (Pitfirrane Nursing Home) and Attached Area Railings
Listing Date: 12 March 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386848
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474259
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL52
Electoral Ward/Division: Pittville
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9522NW CLARENCE ROAD
630-1/10/263 (North side)
12/03/55 White House (Pitfirrane Nursing
Home) and attached area railings
Formerly known as: Pittville Mansion CLARENCE ROAD.
Villa, now nursing home, and attached area railings. 1832-3,
probably by either John Forbes or WA Watson, architects.
Stucco over brick, with concealed roof, end stucco stacks with
cornices; iron porch and area railings.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with basement, 3 first-floor windows.
Stucco detailing includes tooled architraves to ground and
first floor windows, those to ground floor have cornices;
frieze and cornice above first and second floors; blocking
course. Outer windows are blind. First floor has 6/6 sash;
second floor has 3/3 sash. Flight of 5 roll-edged steps to
central entrance a 6-panel door with overlight in distyle
Ionic porch, pulvinated frieze and modillion cornice. Garden
facade (to Pittville Park): 5 first-floor window range. Stucco
detailing as for entrance facade. Ground and first floors have
6/6 sashes; 3/3 sashes to second floor. Left return has 6/6
sashes and central part-glazed door.
INTERIOR: reputed to retain original staircase with stick
balusters and wreathed handrail, otherwise not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: first-floor windows retain blind boxes.
Entrance to left return has porch with scrolled lozenge motif
to uprights. Area railings to left have scrolled lozenge
HISTORICAL NOTE: built as part of the development of this area
undertaken for Joseph Pitt, 1825-42, the general layout being
designed by Joseph Forbes. The land was purchased from Pitt in
1833. Originally known as Pittville Mansion.
(Blake S: Pittville: 1824-1860: Cheltenham: 1988-: 37,68).
Listing NGR: SO9527922863
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings