History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Priory and Attached Walls, Piers and Gate

A Grade II Listed Building in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9017 / 51°54'5"N

Longitude: -2.08 / 2°4'48"W

OS Eastings: 394591

OS Northings: 222572

OS Grid: SO945225

Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.NYD

Mapcode Global: VH947.WGRJ

Entry Name: The Old Priory and Attached Walls, Piers and Gate

Listing Date: 5 May 1972

Last Amended: 26 November 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1386866

English Heritage Legacy ID: 474278

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cheltenham

Town: Cheltenham

Electoral Ward/Division: Lansdown

Built-Up Area: Cheltenham

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cheltenham

Listing Text


CHELTENHAM

SO9422NE CLARENCE STREET
630-1/9/279 (South side)
05/05/72 No.70
The Old Priory and attached walls,
piers and gate
(Formerly Listed as:
CLARENCE STREET
(South side)
No.70
Presbytery of the Church of St
Gregory the Great)

GV II

Former presbytery with attached walls, piers and gate. Dated
1881. Probably by Boultons of Cheltenham. Coursed, squared
limestone rubble over brick with dressed quoins and concealed
roof, iron gate. Gothic Revival style.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 2 first-floor windows. Quoins to angles;
central off-set buttress with niche at first floor and statue
of St Gregory. Moulded first-floor band. Windows, alike:
2-cusped lights with mullions and transoms, those to ground
floor have quatrefoil in head and inscribed 'Jesus' and
'Maria', with hoodmoulds. Those to first floor have date in
roundel to heads and voussoirs over. Entrance range set back
to right with plank door, forms link building to St Gregory's
Church.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: coursed limestone wall abuts at left and
is approx 2m high with double-chamfered coping, return along
front facade is approx 1m high with chamfered coping,
extending for approx 10m to piers, square on plan with
trefoiled heads and gate with panelled lower stage surmounted
by spearhead bars.
HISTORICAL NOTE: built as the presbytery to RC Church of St
Gregory. The church was designed by C Hanson (1854-7) and
completed by Boultons of Cheltenham with Mr Acock of
Cheltenham, builder.
Abuts Church of St Gregory, St James's Square (qv).

Listing NGR: SO9458922561

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.