This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5047 / 51°30'16"N
Longitude: -0.3212 / 0°19'16"W
OS Eastings: 516615
OS Northings: 179754
OS Grid: TQ166797
Mapcode National: GBR 72.V0R
Mapcode Global: VHGQW.DF2V
Plus Code: 9C3XGM3H+VG
Entry Name: 53, Northfield Road
Listing Date: 13 May 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387208
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475130
Location: Ealing, London, W13
Electoral Ward/Division: Walpole
Built-Up Area: Ealing
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Ealing West St John
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 17 NE NORTHFIELD ROAD
Fruit store. Mid 1880s, converted to furniture depository in 1917 and probably strengthened. London stock brick with steel ceiling beams; slate roof. Supporting steel uprights added after 1904. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys; south front is a 4-window range. Nearly symmetrical front consisting of a pair of sliding double timber doors to right of centre under a 3 x 11 paned overlight and brick relieving arch. To right and left are partly external stacks on the wall plane presented as pilaster strips. Altered doorway to ground floor at right of elevation. Fenestration of centre-hung 4 x 8 paned windows under segmental arches to ground and first floors, and 2 x 4 paned windows to the second floor under the eaves. West window bay with one 19505 ground-floor window and an 818 horned sash to first floor. Dentiled eaves cornice. Hipped roof.
West front is 6-window range, the 3 south window bays belonging to Ivy Cottage, originally the foreman's house, now in private occupation: 3-panelled door under plain overlight flanked by one 616 horned sash right and left under segmental heads. 3 similar first-floor sashes and 3 second-floor 6-paned centre-hung windows. Remaining 3 window bays to north similar to south front. Ridge stack right of centre.
North front with a single-storey outshut under a corrugated iron roof. 4 centre-hung windows to first floor irregularly spaced and 4 second-floor windows, smaller and also irregularly spaced. Over first-floor windows is a steel reinforcing beam. In centre rises a rectangular lift tower placed on the front wall plane and with the machine room lit by one of the 4 windows.
INTERIOR: double doors on south side lead to loading bay running south-north through ground floor. 5 x 3 bay steel frame consisting of I-section members, the verticals attached by angle brackets to the ceiling beams, riveted to the verticals, bolted to the beams. Ground-floor and first-floor uprights inserted after 1904, probably in 1917. Heavier section riveted steel ceiling beams of the mid 18805. First-floor with 2-bay brick arcade. Manual lift made by Waygood-Otis Co. of London, the lift cage rebuilt in breeze block to the east wall on ground floor only, otherwise c. 1887. Timber gondola of c.1887. Roof of A-frame trusses with purlins.
The building is of particular interest for the mid 1880s steel ceiling beams.
Listing NGR: TQ1661579754
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings