This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9029 / 51°54'10"N
Longitude: -2.0729 / 2°4'22"W
OS Eastings: 395081
OS Northings: 222707
OS Grid: SO950227
Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.QQC
Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.1F0L
Entry Name: Portland Chapel (Chapel Rock Gymnasium) with Attached Arches Wall and Railings
Listing Date: 5 May 1972
Last Amended: 26 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387374
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475330
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: St Paul's
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9522NW NORTH PLACE
630-1/10/591 (East side)
05/05/72 Portland Chapel (Chapel Rock
Gymnasium) with attached arches,
wall and railings
(Formerly Listed as:
North Place Evangelical Church)
Chapel, now gym with attached arches, wall and railings. 1816
at the expense of Robert Capper, for the Countess of
Huntingdon's Connection; with portico added 1865. Cost
»5-6,000. Ashlar over brick with hipped slate roof. Plain
rectangular box with sill band, first-floor band and parapet,
(latter inscribed Countess of Huntingdon's Connection). Gothic
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys on basement, 3 first-floor windows. 2
tiers of windows, the lower tier have wooden mullion and
transom windows with fixed lights, the upper in pointed-arched
recesses with Y-tracery. Entrance: steps to central
pointed-arched doorway within portico with paired Roman Doric
columns. Crowning frieze, cornice and low parapet. Similar
4-window returns have similar fenestration. Basement has 10/10
INTERIOR: retains galleries on iron column clusters , 2
staircases with stick balusters and wreathed handrails.
reputed to retain king post roof.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: pedestrian arches to right and left,
attached wall at left approx 1.5m high which extends for
approx 14m. Railings to sides of porch have scrolled lozenge
motif. Area railings are alternately arched sticks and
HISTORICAL NOTE: Formerly known as Portland Chapel, this was
the first nonconformist Gothic Revival building erected in
Cheltenham; the portico may have come from another chapel. In
1819 it was gifted to the Countess of Huntingdon's Connection.
Rowe noted in his Cheltenham Guide, written in 1845 but
published in 1850 that the interior had `spacious galleries'.
Formerly had a iron chancel screen and font cover produced by
William Letheran's Vulcan Iron Works.
Little describes this as a `charming .. facade that happily
blends churchwarden Gothic windows with porch columns in Roman
Abuts to rear No.32 Portland Street (qv), probably built as
(Sampson A and Blake S: A Cheltenham Companion: Cheltenham:
1993-: 70,90; RCHME: Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-Houses:
Gloucestershire: London: 1986-: 76; Blake S: Cheltenham's
Churches and Chapels AD 773-1883: Cheltenham: 1979-: 9; Rowe
G: Illustrated Cheltenham Guide: Cheltenham: 1850-1969: 61;
Little B: Cheltenham: London: 1952-: 55).
Listing NGR: SO9508122707
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings