This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8964 / 51°53'47"N
Longitude: -2.075 / 2°4'30"W
OS Eastings: 394933
OS Northings: 221987
OS Grid: SO949219
Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.45V
Mapcode Global: VH947.ZLCK
Entry Name: Oriel Lodge
Listing Date: 5 May 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387382
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475338
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: College
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham St Luke and St John
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9422SE ORIEL ROAD
630-1/13/602 (South side)
05/05/72 Oriel Lodge
Villa, now office. c1820-25 with later additions and
alterations, including c1970s attic storey and range to rear.
Architect: Edward Jenkins, the architect of St James's Church
(qv), for Charles Timins, a retired E India Co sea captain.
Stucco over brick with concealed roof and iron balcony.
Picturesque Tudor Gothic style. Double depth plan with central
hall and service range to rear.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attics (and with basements to
returns), 3 first-floor windows. Ornamental crenellated front,
with corner 'turrets' on octagonal 'buttresses' and gabled
central breakforward with pinnacles with finials. Central
tierceron vaulted porch has 3 columnettes and roll-moulding to
head to 4-centre-arched opening, hollow-chamfered hoodmould
with face stops; to sides of porch are 4-pane lights in
pointed surrounds with cusped glazing bars to head and
roll-moulded surrounds; 5 roll-edged steps to 4-centre-arched
opening has 2 orders of arches on pilasters and hoodmould with
headstops, within are part-glazed double doors with upper
cusped lights and lower linenfold panels with quatrefoils, in
architrave with fluted mock column clusters. Moulded
first-floor band. Above porch a crenellated oriel window with
1:2:1 mullioned lights with multi-pane casements with
pointed-arched glazing bars to heads and quatrefoils to
aprons. Outer windows have 3-light mullion and transoms to
ground floor and are 2-light mullion windows to first floor:
multi-pane casements with pointed-arched glazing bars to
heads, all in plain reveals and with hoodmoulds, those to
ground floor with decorative aprons. Quatrefoil decoration to
gable. Left return: 2 windows deep, similar fenestration with
2-light timber mullion and transom windows and hoodmoulds.
Right return: 3 windows deep. 2 tall 2-light mullion and
transom windows to ground floor and 2 to first floor; then
similar 3-storey fenestration.
INTERIOR: hallway has rib-vaulted ceiling on column clusters,
central rose. Original joinery includes part-glazed doors with
cusped lights and traceried panels below; windows have reeded
architraves and fleurons to angles; panelled shutters with
quatrefoil motifs. Open newel staircase has turned balusters
and carved newel posts. Plasterwork remains, including to
ground floor front rooms with acanthus cornice and scroll
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: right return has balcony with embellished
rods and quatrefoil panels.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Probably Cheltenham's earliest 'Gothic' villa
(with Priory Lawn, Priory Place (qv)). Shown on 1825 map. The
demolished Cambray Spa, originally sited opposite, was
designed in similar style.
(The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale
and The Forest of Dean: London: 1970-: 144; Sampson A and
Blake S: A Cheltenham Companion: Cheltenham: 1993-: 90; Little
B: Cheltenham: London: 1952-: 46).
Listing NGR: SO9493021992
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings