This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8883 / 51°53'17"N
Longitude: -2.0829 / 2°4'58"W
OS Eastings: 394388
OS Northings: 221088
OS Grid: SO943210
Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.G7M
Mapcode Global: VH947.VS6S
Plus Code: 9C3VVWQ8+8R
Entry Name: Brandon House
Listing Date: 12 March 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387401
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475357
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Park
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Leckhampton St Philip and St James
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9421SW PAINSWICK ROAD
630-1/22/612 (East side)
Villa, now offices. c1834-9. Built for Henry Norwood Tyre,
architect probably John Forbes. Ashlar over brick with slate
roof, rear ashlar stack.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 5 first-floor windows and with
2-lower-storey L-plan service range to rear. End 1-window bays
break forwards slightly. Ashlar detailing includes Corinthian
pilasters to breakforwards, continuous architrave, frieze and
dentil cornice with blocking course. Windows have tooled
architraves, outer windows to ground floor have ornamental
friezes and cornices. Central first-floor 3-light window with
entablature and console brackets. Flight of 5 roll-edged steps
to central tetrastyle porch with Tower of Winds capitals and
frieze embellished by wreaths, cornice and blocking course.
Plinth. 6/6 sashes throughout, taller to ground floor. Central
entrance a panelled door with sidelights and pilasters
between, continuous overlight. Right return a 5 first-floor
window range has tooled architraves, and with cornices to
alternate ground-floor windows; 6/6 sashes.
INTERIOR: retains original plasterwork and joinery including
open-well staircase with iron lotus-flower motif to balusters
and wreathed handrail, carved tread ends. Joinery includes
panelled doors and dividing doors between front and rear right
rooms; panelled shutters. Marble fireplaces include that to
right, front room with floral motif to corners.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Verey notes that Brandon House has the same
capitals to the pilasters as Nos 121, 123, 125 and 127,
Promenade (qqv), which were built by Forbes. Not shown on
Merrett's Map of 1834, however Tyre is noted as resident of
Brandon House (Brandon being one of the family names) in the
1839 street directory. During the C19 this was lived in by
Countess Ponthieu (1845); Archbishop Whately of Dublin (1849);
and Admiral McKeller. Painswick Road was laid out by Charles
Baker, to connect Cheltenham with Painswick, following and Act
Little considers this to be 'the Cheltenham villa at its
Occupies a significant corner site and has good group value
with No.60 Painswick Road (qv) and Church of St Philip and St
James, Gratton Road (qv).
(Little B: Cheltenham in Pictures: Newton Abbot: 1967-: 46;
Gloucestershire Society for Industrial Archaeology Journal:
Garrett JV: Charles Baker of Painswick and Cheltenham: 1989-;
The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale
and The Forest of Dean: London: 1970-: 154; Merrett HS: Plan
of the Town of Cheltenham: 1834-).
Listing NGR: SO9439221088
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings