This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9044 / 51°54'15"N
Longitude: -2.0699 / 2°4'11"W
OS Eastings: 395289
OS Northings: 222880
OS Grid: SO952228
Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.KJB
Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.2DLD
Entry Name: Rahere (Number 2) and Napier House (Number 4) and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 12 March 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387454
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475415
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL52
Electoral Ward/Division: Pittville
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9522NW PITTVILLE LAWN
630-1/10/657 (West side)
12/03/55 Nos.2 AND 4
Rahere (No.2) and Napier House
(No.4) and attached railings
Pair of semi-detached houses and attached railings. No.2 built
1835; No.4 built 1848; in matching style but by different
builders. No.4 built by William Hart. No.2 built for Captain
Beetlestone. Stucco over brick with concealed roof, left end
gault brick stacks and iron railings, balcony, window boxes
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 7 first-floor windows arranged 3:4, the
bay to right is set back. Stucco detailing includes horizontal
rustication to ground floor drawn into voussoirs over
openings; crowning architrave, frieze and cornice (that to
right has dentils) with blocking course. Ground and first
floors have 2/2 horizontal-pane sashes where original; second
floor has 6/6 sashes; 3/6 basement sashes. Right entrances,
flights of roll-edged steps to 2-panel doors, that to left
part-glazed, and overlights, that to right in set-back range.
Left return has 3 first-floor windows, all blind; horizontal
rustication to ground floor, drawn into voussoirs over
openings. First-floor band. Crowning dentil entablature.
INTERIOR: retain original joinery including panelled shutters
to right, otherwise not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: first-floor continuous balcony has
lozenge and star motif. Window boxes to ground floor have rail
and scroll motif. Second-floor window guards to right house
have rod and circle motif. Area spearhead railings continue to
sides of steps.
HISTORICAL NOTE: No.2, originally known as Segrave House, was
built for Captain William Moore Beetlestone. No.4 was built by
William Hart, carpenter.
All the listed buildings along Pittville Lawn form a good
(Blake S: Pittville: 1824-1860: Cheltenham: 1988-: 69).
Listing NGR: SO9528722879
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings