This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9048 / 51°54'17"N
Longitude: -2.0696 / 2°4'10"W
OS Eastings: 395307
OS Northings: 222917
OS Grid: SO953229
Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.KK9
Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.2DQ4
Entry Name: Numbers 6 to 14 and Attached Railings to Number 8
Listing Date: 12 March 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387459
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475421
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL52
Electoral Ward/Division: Pittville
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9522NW PITTVILLE LAWN
630-1/10/658 (West side)
12/03/55 Nos.6-14 (Even)
and attached railings to No.8
Terrace of a single and two pairs of quasi semi-detached
villas, (Nos 12 and 14 now nursing home) with attached
railings to No.8. c1848. No.6: Samuel Tovey, builder; No.8:
Jacob Baylis, builder; No.10 Thomas James, builder; Nos 12 and
14: Thomas Cantell, stone mason. Stucco over brick with hipped
slate roofs, end and central brick and stucco party-wall
stacks and iron railings and balconies.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys on basements, 3 first-floor windows each
with entrance bays set back: that to left has 2 storeys, 1
first-floor window; then 2-bay, single-storey entrances; and
2-bay, 2-storey range; altogether first-floor windows arranged
3:6:2:6:1; ranges to rear to No.14. Stucco detailing includes
tooled architraves to windows, those to ground floor have
cornices on console brackets; first-floor band acting as
raised cornice (with dentils) over paired entrances; between
paired houses a tall pilaster with sunk panel. First floor has
6/6 sashes throughout. Ground floor has mainly 2/2
horizontal-pane sashes, those to centre of pairs are
tripartite; to left are 6-pane French windows with overlights,
that to left has 2/2 sashes to sides, all in plain reveals and
with sills to first floor. Basement has 3/6 and 4/8 sashes.
Entrances: 4-panel doors, some part-glazed, with overlights
where original. Wide eaves.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: continuous balconies to ground floor have
ornate rods and scrolls. Spearhead forecourt railings to No.8.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Part of the Pittville Estate, the land
remained unsold at Pitt's death and was sold at auction to the
County of Gloucester Bank in 1845. Divided into 6 lots this
was then sold to Thomas Cantell, stone mason who built 2
houses and sold 4 lots to other builders. Originally known as
1-5 Clarendon Villas.
All the listed buildings along Pittville Lawn form a good
(Chatwin A: Cheltenham's Ornamental Ironwork: Cheltenham:
1975-1984: 43; Blake S: Pittville: 1824-1860: Cheltenham:
Listing NGR: SO9530422917
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings