This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0638 / 51°3'49"N
Longitude: -1.3164 / 1°18'58"W
OS Eastings: 448000
OS Northings: 129612
OS Grid: SU480296
Mapcode National: GBR 861.B06
Mapcode Global: FRA 8649.LZ8
Entry Name: The Old Gaol
Listing Date: 24 March 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387464
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475427
Location: Winchester, Hampshire, SO23
Electoral Ward/Division: St Bartholomew
Built-Up Area: Winchester
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Winchester Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
1833 JEWRY STREET
No llA (The Old Gaol)
SU 4729 NE 2/135
SU 4829 NW 3/135 24.3.50.
1805. By George Moneypenny. 3 storeys. The central part of the Old
Gaol, which originally consisted of this block and two wings with angle
Pavilions, one of which also remains (See No 12). Yellow stock brick
walls with rusticated and vermiculated stone quoins, stone cornice and
pediment. 5 windows, sashes with glazing bars, with arched heads on the
first floor. Roof not visible. Modern shop front on ground floor. Building
shows influence of G. Dance's Newgate Prison, 1770.
No 11A, Congregational Church and No 12 form a group.
Listing NGR: SU4800329614
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings