This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9046 / 51°54'16"N
Longitude: -2.0683 / 2°4'6"W
OS Eastings: 395393
OS Northings: 222893
OS Grid: SO953228
Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.KW8
Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.3DD9
Entry Name: 6 to 16, Prestbury Road
Listing Date: 8 June 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387585
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475560
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL52
Electoral Ward/Division: Pittville
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9522NW PRESTBURY ROAD
630-1/10/695 (North side)
08/06/83 Nos.6-16 (Even)
Terrace of 6 shops with flats over. 1830s: No.6 1833-4, Nos
8-16 1839-40; with later C19 and C20 additions and alterations
to ground floor shop fronts. Stucco over brick with slate
roofs and brick and stucco end and party-wall stacks.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys to left otherwise 2 storeys, 17+1
first-floor windows (3 to each house, that to right on curve).
Right end curved on plan. Second and right end buildings break
forwards. First-floor band. Crowning entablature except to
right and left; low parapet and copings throughout. 6/6 sashes
where original, all in plain reveals, those to right with
sills. Shop fronts, (from left): late C19 frontage with
central entrance a part-glazed door with fanlight and carved
decoration in the spandrels with pilastered architrave,
between 2-light, round-arched windows with fluted,
half-columnar mullions with foliate capitals. Two shopfronts
c1970s. No.12 has end pilasters, entrance a part-glazed
off-centre recessed door, window to right has fluted
half-columnar mullions. No.16 has original shop front which
follows curve of building, with fluted mullions, end pilaster
with acanthus corbels, frieze and cornice, off-centre glazed
entrance has ornate panel. Left return: No.6 has a 3-storey
bow facing Portland Street with similar arcaded shop-front and
a 2-bay extension to left.
INTERIOR: No.6: photos dated 1991 show embellished frieze and
cornice with anthemion to coving and grape frieze to ceiling;
HISTORICAL NOTE: Originally known as Leamington Place. No.6
was occupied as a chemist's shop by 1839, this row of 6 shops
being the only commercial premises allowed on the Pittville
(Blake S: Pittville: 1824-1860: Cheltenham: 1988-: 73-74).
Listing NGR: SO9540122900
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings