This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9049 / 51°54'17"N
Longitude: -2.0675 / 2°4'2"W
OS Eastings: 395452
OS Northings: 222933
OS Grid: SO954229
Mapcode National: GBR 2M5.D43
Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.3DV1
Plus Code: 9C3VWW3M+X2
Entry Name: Sligo House
Listing Date: 5 May 1972
Last Amended: 26 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387603
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475578
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL52
Electoral Ward/Division: Pittville
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9522NW PRESTBURY ROAD
630-1/10/712 (North West side)
05/05/72 Sligo House
(Formerly Listed as:
Villa. 1839-40. Edward Cope, builder. Stucco over brick with
hipped slate roof with 2 rear stucco stacks.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys on basement, 3 first-floor windows. Stucco
detailing includes tooled architraves to ground-floor windows
with broken segmental pediments on corbel brackets;
first-floor sill band; wreath above each first-floor window;
crowning cornice on paired console brackets. 6/6 sashes
throughout, all in plain reveals and with sills; renewed 8/8
sashes to basement. Central entrance, flight of 5 renewed
roll-edged steps to 4-raised-and-fielded-panel door with
sidelights and divided overlight in tooled architrave. Left
return: 3 first-floor windows, each in stepped-forward range
and that to right in full-height bow. 6/6 sashes, those to bow
are curved on section and similar stucco detailing.
INTERIOR: noted as having retained original joinery including
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: to sides of steps a stuccoed balustrade
with blind oval motif and cylindrical end piers.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the NW side of Prestbury Road was built upon
first as part of the development of this area undertaken for
Joseph Pitt in 1835-42, the general layout being designed by
the architect John Forbes. Built by Edward Cope, a leading
local builder and speculator who was responsible for laying
out the area around Pittville Circus, it was sold in March
1847 to John Bird of the East India Company for »2060.
Originally known as Alwington Villa.
One of a good group of villas, along with Southend House
(No.32) (qv), and Tower House (qv), Prestbury Road and Nos 1
and 2, Pittville Circus (qv), at the important junction of
Prestbury Road, Wellington Road, Albert Road and Pittville
(Blake S: Pittville: 1824-1860: Cheltenham: 1988-: 19-20,74).
Listing NGR: SO9544922968
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings