This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9004 / 51°54'1"N
Longitude: -2.0755 / 2°4'31"W
OS Eastings: 394903
OS Northings: 222426
OS Grid: SO949224
Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.XRG
Mapcode Global: VH947.ZH4J
Entry Name: 32, Promenade
Listing Date: 12 March 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387627
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475613
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Lansdown
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
630-1/13/734 (South East side)
Library, now shop. c1820-40 with later alterations including
c1980s ground-floor shop front. Stucco over brick with mansard
slate roof and iron verandah.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, with attic to mansard, 2 first-floor
windows. 6/6 sashes where original, taller to first floor.
Attic has 1/1 sash. Cornice surmounted by parapet with 2 urns.
Glazed shop front.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: balustrade at first floor possibly by
Marshalls, the motif derived from LN Cottingham.
HISTORICAL NOTE: by 1845 when Rowe's Cheltenham Guide was
written (published 1850), this was Wright's Theological
Library. Rowe noted, 'Theology has now become so necessary a
part of polite education, that libraries are formed in most
towns for the use of those devoted to its study. This library
contains all the most useful works on this subject, together
with a miscellaneous stock of standard literature.' The facade
remains the same from the first floor, the ground floor has
paired end Ionic columns and a central entrance with fanlight
between 2 round-arched windows.
The Promenade was laid out in 1818 as a tree-lined avenue from
the Colonnade in the High Street to the Sherborne Spa (on the
site of the Queen's Hotel (qv)), by 1826 it was a carriage
drive with spacious gravelled walk on each side. Although
originally on either side were 'rows of elegant houses,' by
1845 Rowe noted that 'nearly the whole of the left-hand (SE)
side .. is devoted to professional or business
Nos 28 and 30 (qv) together with No.32 form a single
commercial unit at Review.
(The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale
and The Forest of Dean: London: 1970-: 146; Williams GA: Guide
Book to Cheltenham: 1824-: 29; Rowe G: Illustrated Cheltenham
Guide: Cheltenham: 1850-1969: 13 (ILLUS)).
Listing NGR: SO9490322426
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings