This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5827 / 54°34'57"N
Longitude: -0.9733 / 0°58'23"W
OS Eastings: 466456
OS Northings: 521316
OS Grid: NZ664213
Mapcode National: GBR PHNG.20
Mapcode Global: WHF88.02TN
Entry Name: Queen Hotel queen Hotel and the Queens Public House
Listing Date: 29 September 1992
Last Amended: 26 May 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387628
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475614
Location: Saltburn, Marske and New Marske, Redcar and Cleveland, TS12
County: Redcar and Cleveland
Civil Parish: Saltburn, Marske and New Marske
Built-Up Area: Saltburn-by-the-Sea
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Saltburn Emmanuel
Church of England Diocese: York
SALTBURN, MARSKE AND NEW MARSKE
NZ6621SW WINDSOR ROAD, Saltburn
802-1/10/62 (North side)
29/09/92 Queen Hotel and the Queens Public
(Formerly Listed as:
SALTBURN AND MARSKE BY THE SEA
WINDSOR ROAD, Saltburn By The Sea
Includes: Queen Hotel STATION STREET Saltburn.
Hotel and public house in part of east wing. Dated 1875,
altered C20. By John Ross of Darlington, for John Hutton.
Pease white brick with sandstone dressings; Welsh slate roof
now coated with bituminous compound. Crescent-plan frontage
occupies corner site at 45 degrees to flanking wings to
Station Street and Windsor Road.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, 5-bay range to front, west wing 3-bay
range and east wing 4-bay range. Central, slightly projecting
one-bay tower with diagonal buttresses holds quasi-Venetian
doorway with overlights, renewed double doors and mid C20
doors in place of sidelights. Round towers in end bays.
Sash windows in stepped and stop-chamfered surrounds, under
4-centred heads and continuous hoodmoulds on the lower two
floors; plaque over first-floor windows inscribed 'QUEEN HOTEL
1875'. Segment-headed second-floor windows. Paired windows in
central tower; round towers have 5 windows with curved glass
on each floor; dogtooth mouldings between floors. Mid C20
horizontal casement windows inserted between bays on upper
floors. Continuous Lombard frieze at eaves.
Hipped roofs; pyramidal over central tower, conical over round
towers with decorative metal finials. Ribbed, banded and
corniced axial and transverse stacks. Similar wings.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: originally conceived as part of the grand Regent
Circus in George Dickenson's 1861 plan for the town, and the
only part of the Circus to be built.
(Wilson CS: The History of Saltburn: Saltburn by Sea: 1983-:
Listing NGR: NZ6645621316
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings