History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

60, 62 and 64, Promenade

A Grade II Listed Building in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8994 / 51°53'57"N

Longitude: -2.0765 / 2°4'35"W

OS Eastings: 394832

OS Northings: 222321

OS Grid: SO948223

Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.XGR

Mapcode Global: VH947.YJL8

Entry Name: 60, 62 and 64, Promenade

Listing Date: 5 May 1972

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1387642

English Heritage Legacy ID: 475628

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cheltenham

Town: Cheltenham

Electoral Ward/Division: College

Built-Up Area: Cheltenham

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cheltenham

Listing Text


CHELTENHAM

SO9422SE PROMENADE
630-1/13/740 (South East side)
05/05/72 Nos.60, 62 AND 64

GV II

House, now 3 shops. c1820-40 with later additions and
alterations including conversion to shops probably pre-1845;
ground floor shop fronts c1980s. Stucco over brick with hipped
slate roof and renewed tall end stucco stacks.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 4 first-floor windows. Stucco detailing
includes, to first floor: round-arched architraves with
modillion moulding with wider and taller round arches with
egg-and-dart moulding, paterae between; modillion frieze and
cornice. Windows: casements with fanlights to left and 1/1
lugged sashes to right. Ground floor has glazed shop fronts.
Balcony with replacement balustrade.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: The Promenade was laid out in 1818 as a
tree-lined avenue from the Colonnade in the High Street to the
Sherborne Spa (on the site of the Queen's Hotel (qv)), by 1826
it was a carriage drive with a spacious gravelled walk on each
side. Although originally on either side were 'rows of elegant
houses,' by 1845 when Rowe wrote his Cheltenham Guide
(published 1850) he noted that 'nearly the whole of the
left-hand (SE) side .. is devoted to professional or business
establishments'.
An inventive choice of stucco detail, chosen to enrich an
otherwise conventional Neo-Classical design.
(Chatwin A: Cheltenham's Ornamental Ironwork: Cheltenham:
1975-1984: 29; The Buildings of England: Verey D:
Gloucestershire: The Vale and The Forest of Dean: London:
1970-: 146; Rowe G: Illustrated Cheltenham Guide: Cheltenham:
1850-1969: 12).


Listing NGR: SO9484722344

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.