History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

88, Promenade

A Grade II Listed Building in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8987 / 51°53'55"N

Longitude: -2.0773 / 2°4'38"W

OS Eastings: 394780

OS Northings: 222246

OS Grid: SO947222

Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.X8K

Mapcode Global: VH947.YJ6S

Entry Name: 88, Promenade

Listing Date: 5 May 1972

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1387655

English Heritage Legacy ID: 475641

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cheltenham

Town: Cheltenham

Electoral Ward/Division: College

Built-Up Area: Cheltenham

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cheltenham

Listing Text


CHELTENHAM

SO9422SE PROMENADE
630-1/13/746 (South East side)
05/05/72 No.88

GV II

House now shop. c1820-40 with conversion to shop probably
pre-1845 and late-C20 ground-floor shop front. Ashlar over
brick with concealed roof and iron balconies.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys, 3 first-floor windows. Narrow step-back
to sides. First floor has 8/12 round-arched sashes with radial
glazing bars to head in shallow recesses and with tooled heads
with imposts and corbel keystones. First floor has 12/12
sashes and keystones. Second floor has 8/8 sashes. All in
plain reveals and with sills. Crowning entablature with low
parapet and copings. Glazed shop front with glazed central
entrance not of special interest.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: first-floor balconies have shaped rods.
The ground floor forms one commercial unit with that of No.90
(qv) at time of Review.
HISTORICAL NOTE: The Promenade was laid out in 1818 as a
tree-lined avenue from the Colonnade in the High Street to the
Sherborne Spa (on the site of the Queen's Hotel (qv)), by 1826
it was a carriage drive with spacious gravelled walk on each
side. Buildings on the NW side were the first to be developed.
Although originally on either side were 'rows of elegant
houses,' by 1845 when Rowe wrote his Cheltenham Guide
(published 1850) he noted that 'nearly the whole of the
left-hand (SE) side .. is devoted to professional or business
establishments'.
(The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale
and The Forest of Dean: London: 1970-: 146; Williams GA: Guide
Book to Cheltenham: 1824-: 29; Rowe G: Illustrated Cheltenham
Guide: Cheltenham: 1850-1969: 12).


Listing NGR: SO9478122232

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.