This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8985 / 51°53'54"N
Longitude: -2.0776 / 2°4'39"W
OS Eastings: 394756
OS Northings: 222214
OS Grid: SO947222
Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.X4S
Mapcode Global: VH947.YK00
Entry Name: 94, 96 and 98, Promenade
Listing Date: 12 March 1955
Last Amended: 26 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387667
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475653
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: College
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
630-1/13/749 (South East side)
12/03/55 Nos.94, 96 AND 98
(Formerly Listed as:
(South East side)
Nos.94, 96 AND 98)
(Formerly Listed as:
(North West side)
No.15 Ormond Terrace)
3 terraced houses, now shops. c1820-40 with later additions
and alterations including conversion to shops probably c1845
and with late C19 and late C20 ground-floor shop front. Ashlar
over brick with concealed roof.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attic, 3 first-floor windows. Central
breakforward. First floor has paired Doric pilasters to ends
and paired Ionic half-columns to breakforward, surmounted by
entablature. First floor has outer 8/8 sashes where original
and central 6/6 sash. Second floor has 2/2 horned sashes. All
in plain reveals and with sills. Crowning entablature and low
parapet. Shop fronts: to left a renewed glazed frontage with
glazed side entrance; to late Victorian shop front with
plate-glass window with cylindrical mullions and urn caps,
canted into entrance and with fascia and cornice; similar shop
front to right, but glass curved on plan to angle and entrance
glazed door with margin-lights and overlight with
margin-lights, carved frieze, fascia and cornice.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: The Promenade was laid out in 1818 as a
tree-lined avenue leading from the Colonnade in the High
Street to the Sherborne Spa (on the site of the Queen's Hotel
(qv)), by 1826 it was a carriage drive with spacious gravelled
walk on either side. Buildings on the NW were the first to be
developed. Although originally on either side were 'rows of
elegant houses,' by 1845 when Rowe wrote his Cheltenham Guide
(published 1850) he noted that 'nearly the whole of the
left-hand (SE) side .. is devoted to professional or business
(The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale
and The Forest of Dean: London: 1970-: 146; Williams GA: Guide
Book to Cheltenham: 1824-: 29; Rowe G: Illustrated Cheltenham
Guide: Cheltenham: 1850-1969: 12).
Listing NGR: SO9479222256
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings