History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

102, 104 and 106, Promenade

A Grade II Listed Building in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8982 / 51°53'53"N

Longitude: -2.0778 / 2°4'40"W

OS Eastings: 394741

OS Northings: 222191

OS Grid: SO947221

Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.X3K

Mapcode Global: VH947.XKW5

Entry Name: 102, 104 and 106, Promenade

Listing Date: 12 March 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1387682

English Heritage Legacy ID: 475668

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cheltenham

Town: Cheltenham

Electoral Ward/Division: College

Built-Up Area: Cheltenham

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cheltenham

Listing Text


CHELTENHAM

SO9422SE PROMENADE
630-1/13/752 (South East side)
12/03/55 Nos.102, 104 AND 106

GV II

Terrace of 3 houses, now shops. c1820-40 with c1930-50s
ground-floor shop fronts. Ashlar over brick with concealed
roof and right end stucco stack.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 9 first-floor windows (3 per house).
Central pedimented breakforward has Ionic columns to ends and
between windows, side ranges have Doric columns between
windows with crowning entablature. Ground floor projects and
has glazed shop fronts with banded pilasters between, dentil
cornice remains at right. Right return: low parapet ramped up
to centre forming feature with stack.
INTERIOR: photographs dated 1991 show upper stage of narrow
open-well staircase with embellished rods, otherwise not
inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: The Promenade was laid out in 1818 as a
tree-lined avenue from the Colonnade in the High Street to the
Sherborne Spa (on the site of the Queen's Hotel (qv)), by 1826
it was a carriage drive with spacious gravelled walks on
either side. Although originally on either side were 'rows of
elegant houses,' by 1845 when Rowe wrote his Cheltenham Guide
(published 1850) he noted that 'nearly the whole of the
left-hand (SE) side .. is devoted to professional or business
establishments.'
(The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale
and The Forest of Dean: London: 1970-: 146; Williams GA: Guide
Book to Cheltenham: 1824-: 29; Rowe G: Illustrated Cheltenham
Guide: Cheltenham: 1850-1969: 12).


Listing NGR: SO9475222186

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.