History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Samson and Lion Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Bordesley Green, Birmingham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4762 / 52°28'34"N

Longitude: -1.8401 / 1°50'24"W

OS Eastings: 410956

OS Northings: 286490

OS Grid: SP109864

Mapcode National: GBR 6FB.M6

Mapcode Global: VH9Z4.2121

Entry Name: Samson and Lion Public House

Listing Date: 28 July 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1387742

English Heritage Legacy ID: 475731

Location: Birmingham, B9

County: Birmingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Bordesley Green

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Birmingham

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Bordesley Green

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Birmingham

Description

SP 18 NW
997/8/10175

BIRMINGHAM
YARDLEY GREEN ROAD
Bordesley Green
Number 42, Samson and Lion Public House

II

Public House and attached dwelling. 1913-15 by Arthur Edwards for Holders Brewery Ltd. Red brick with buff terracotta detailing and black brick diapering. Clay tiled roof, with coped gables and end and ridge stacks. PLAN. L-shaped plan on corner site with symmetrical frontage range and with attached dwelling extending along Blakeland Street. EXTERIOR. Symmetrical 2-storey front of 3 bays to Yardley Green Road with secondary entrance bay attached to left-hand gable. 2 full-height canted bays flank the central entrance. Both doorways set beneath projecting, round-arched canopies with dentil ornament under the soffits. Ground floor bay windows of 1:3:1 lights with transoms; first floor windows, similarly detailed but without transoms, break through the eaves line and terminate in plain parapets. All window and door surrounds of terracotta. Circular clock above the central entrance, mounted on iron brackets. Bases of 2 former ventilators on the ridge. The Blakeland Street facade extends at right angles to the frontage range, of 2 storeys with windows in various 1-, 2- and 3-light arrangements, some with transoms. Attached publican's dwelling with a separate entrance bearing the date 1914 on the lintel. 2 coped gables break the eaves line. 3 closely-set doorways under square heads and with rectangular overlights. INTERIOR. Main range with 2 front bars, with central servery and smoke room to rear,. Original bar back with shallow elliptical arches enclosing brown brick and mirrors behind. Partition between the 2 parts of the main bar with 3 etched glass panels. Fixed wall seating. Upper lights in smoke room windows with stained glass depicting various flags including those of First World War allies. Original fire surrounds in smoke room. Staircase with plain square and pierced rectangular balusters. Well-detailed and little altered early C20 public house which illustrates the shift of emphasis from lavish decoration and opulence to greater restraint, simplicity and decency in the design of early C20 premises. SOURCE: Birmingham Archive, Building Plans 24936.

Listing NGR: SP1095686490

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.