This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8949 / 51°53'41"N
Longitude: -2.0839 / 2°5'2"W
OS Eastings: 394319
OS Northings: 221824
OS Grid: SO943218
Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.1YD
Mapcode Global: VH947.TMNP
Plus Code: 9C3VVWV8+XC
Entry Name: Lauriston House (Bank of Scotland)
Listing Date: 12 March 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387754
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475744
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Lansdown
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9421NW QUEEN'S PARADE
630-1/17/768 Lauriston House (Bank of Scotland)
Villa, now bank. 1839-40; with later additions and alterations
including c1960 range at rear. Stucco over brick with
concealed roof, stucco ridge and rear stacks with cornices and
iron windows guards.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with basement to right return, 3
first-floor windows. End breakforwards are articulated by
full-height Tower of Winds pilasters, continuous crowning
dentil entablature with blocking course and copings. Plinth.
Flight of 6 steps to central entrance, double 4-panel and
studded doors with sidelights and pilasters between, overlight
with decorative glazing bars, within porch with 4 fluted
columns Tower of Winds capitals and engaged pilasters
supporting heavy dentil cornice. Outer windows are tripartite
with 6/6 sashes between 2/2 lugged sashes, with narrow
pilasters between, those to ground floor have framing
pilasters, those to first floor have balustrade with bulbous
balusters. Otherwise 6/6 sashes, taller to ground floor.
Tooled architrave to central, first-floor window. Basement has
8/8 sashes where original. 3-window return to left and
4-window return to right, both articulated by similar
pilasters, ground-floor windows have tooled architrave, frieze
INTERIOR: to left, ground floor, deep cornice with tall
acanthus motif, 2 marble fireplaces; hall has cornice with
modillions and paterae; room to right has deep roll-moulded
cornice; arches to stairway. First floor has some marble
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: ground-floor windows have individual
balconies with circle motif embellished with heart and
acanthus. First-floor windows to right return have window
boxes with scrolled lozenge.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Apparently shown as laid out but not built on
Merrett's Map of 1834. Dr Thomas Richardson Colledge
(1796-1879) founder of the Medical Missionary Society lived in
A very fine villa design, articulated with considerable depth
and ingenuity: the resulting 3-dimensional quality is
comparable to some of the 1830s villas by Dyer in the Clifton
area of Bristol.
(Merrett HS: Plan of the Town of Cheltenham: 1834-).
Listing NGR: SO9432721804
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings