History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Essex House (Number 18) and Attached Area Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8991 / 51°53'56"N

Longitude: -2.0738 / 2°4'25"W

OS Eastings: 395015

OS Northings: 222283

OS Grid: SO950222

Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.Y8F

Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.0JHJ

Entry Name: Essex House (Number 18) and Attached Area Railings

Listing Date: 14 December 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1387777

English Heritage Legacy ID: 475769

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cheltenham

Town: Cheltenham

Electoral Ward/Division: College

Built-Up Area: Cheltenham

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cheltenham

Listing Text

SO9522SW CHELTENHAM RODNEY ROAD
(South East side)

630-1/14/787 Nos. 16A and 18
Essex House (No.18)
and attached area railings
14/12/83

GV II

House, now house and office and attached area railings. Circa 1803. Developer, J Smith, plumber. Stucco over brick with concealed roof and stucco stacks; iron railings. Single depth plan with central hallway.
EXTERIOR: 3 storey on basement, 5 first-floor windows with single storey extendion to the left. 6/6 sashes where original, all in plain reveals and with sills. Basement has 6/6 sashes in cambered-arched surrounds. 5 steps to central entrance to main block, flight of steos to 4-panel door in fluted frieze and fanlight, with batwing and circle glazing bars. Further entrance to extension, 6-flush-panel door with overlight. Low parapet with copings.
INTERIOR: No.18 retains original plasterwork and joinery; embellished cornices with acanthus motif; panelled shutters; narrow-open-well staircase with stick balusters and wreathed handrail with embellished tread ends; doors have tooled architraves with fleurons.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: area lancet railings with urn finials to stanchions. Boot scraper to top step. HISTORICAL NOTE: land for the development was bought from Joseph Pitt in 1803; the first occupant was Mr Cooke, a surgeon (information from deeds). Building had commenced on Rodney Road by 1809 and many houses are shown on the Post Office Map of 1820.


Listing NGR: SO9502422291

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.