This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9021 / 51°54'7"N
Longitude: -2.0776 / 2°4'39"W
OS Eastings: 394755
OS Northings: 222618
OS Grid: SO947226
Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.PK5
Mapcode Global: VH947.YG06
Entry Name: Numbers 16 and 18 and Attached Area Railings
Listing Date: 5 May 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387823
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475815
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Lansdown
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9422NE ST GEORGE'S PLACE
630-1/9/807 (East side)
05/05/72 Nos.16 AND 18
and attached area railings
Pair of terrace houses and attached area railings. 1788-9.
Stucco over brick and pinkish-brown brick with mansard slate
roof and stucco ridge stacks; wrought-iron railings and
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys on basement and with attics, 4 first-floor
windows (2:2), extensions to rear, right. Left house projects
slightly. Stucco detailing includes rusticated ground floor to
left, drawn into voussoirs over openings; ground and first
floor windows to right have tooled architraves. Mainly 6/6
sashes, except to ground-floor at right are 2/2
horizontal-pane sashes and 6/9 sashes to first floor, all in
plain reveals and with sills. Attics have casements and 3/3
sashes; basements have 3/6 sashes where original. Entrances to
left and right: flights of steps to 6-fielded-panel doors with
fanlights with radial glazing bars, tooled head to right and
keystone. Rear retains 8/8 sashes.
INTERIOR: retain original joinery including panelled shutters,
4-panel doors and (to right) a narrow-open-well staircase with
stick balusters; otherwise not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: area railings have shaped heads, and some
arrowhead, with urn finials to stanchions. Individual
first-floor elliptical window boxes have rod and central
circle motif, similar to those on Nos 11, 15, 17, 27, 31, 33
and 37 (qqv).
HISTORICAL NOTE: Col Riddell (c1800-36), a famous Regency
quack doctor, lived at No.16. Cheltenham's famous Dr Jenner
lived at No.22 between 1805-22 (since demolished). Originally
part of a symmetrical terrace of 4 (2 now destroyed) called St
George's Place, they gave their name eventually to the whole
street, which was formerly known as Stills Lane. This is the
earliest terrace of houses in the street and the earliest
terrace in Cheltenham. Stills Lane was the only road
connecting the High Street with the Royal Well Spa before the
(Chatwin A: Cheltenham's Ornamental Ironwork: Cheltenham:
Listing NGR: SO9475922618
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings