History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Handel House (Number 51) and St Georges Vaults Public House (Number 53) and Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9016 / 51°54'5"N

Longitude: -2.0785 / 2°4'42"W

OS Eastings: 394698

OS Northings: 222569

OS Grid: SO946225

Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.PBR

Mapcode Global: VH947.XGKK

Entry Name: Handel House (Number 51) and St Georges Vaults Public House (Number 53) and Railings

Listing Date: 5 May 1972

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1387828

English Heritage Legacy ID: 475820

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cheltenham

Town: Cheltenham

Electoral Ward/Division: Lansdown

Built-Up Area: Cheltenham

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cheltenham

Listing Text


CHELTENHAM

SO9422NE ST GEORGE'S PLACE
630-1/9/811 (West side)
05/05/72 Nos.51 AND 53
Handel House (No.51), St George's
Vaults Public House (No.53) and
railings

GV II

2 terraced houses and attached railings to right, now public
house and office. Numbered right to left, described left to
right. c1805-09, with later additions and alterations
including that c1876-1935 to left. Numbered right to left,
described left to right. Stucco over brick with slate roof at
right and replacement roof at left; tall left end and ridge
brick stacks; iron railings.
PLAN: triple-pile roof at left (hipped to rear), then through
passage; to right a single-depth entrance hall in centre and
double-pile roof at right.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with basement to right, 5 first-floor
windows (2:3), that to centre set back slightly, with
single-storey, 2-window extension to left. Stucco detailing
includes first-floor band to left and second-floor band to
right. 6/6 sashes where original, with 6/6 between 2/2 sash to
ground floor at right, all in plain reveals and with sills.
Entrance below 2nd and 4th windows: 6- and 5-panel doors (the
upper panels fielded) with sidelights and fanlights with
batwing and circle glazing bars. Further off-centre opening
with plank door and blind fanlight to passage. Crowning
blocking course and copings. Rear has 6/6 sashes, small
round-arched staircase window with stained glass and
margin-lights to No.51.
INTERIOR: house to right has central hallway inner glazed door
and fanlight; curved open-well staircase with stick balusters
and wreathed mahogany handrail; round-arched niche part way up
stairs; hall has ceiling frieze with Greek key motif.
Otherwise not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: lancet area railings have urn finial to
stanchions.
HISTORICAL NOTE: building along the west side of St George's
Place commenced in 1805, the houses are shown as built on the
1809 Map.

Listing NGR: SO9469022570

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.