This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9016 / 51°54'5"N
Longitude: -2.0787 / 2°4'43"W
OS Eastings: 394684
OS Northings: 222561
OS Grid: SO946225
Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.P9P
Mapcode Global: VH947.XGGM
Entry Name: Electricity House
Listing Date: 14 December 1983
Last Amended: 26 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387829
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475821
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Lansdown
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9422NE ST GEORGE'S PLACE
630-1/9/814 (West side)
(Formerly Listed as:
ST GEORGE'S PLACE
Includes: Electricity House CLARENCE STREET.
Electricity sub-station. 1894-5. Probably designed by Joseph
Hall, borough engineer. Red brick with gauged red brick,
terracotta, ashlar and rough stone dressings, concealed roof
except to outshut a slate roof; tall brick end stack to west
has cornice and copings. Italian Gothic style, based on the
Strozzi Palace (1489), Florence. Rectangular block with
outshut to north.
EXTERIOR: main (south) facade to Clarence Street: 3 storeys, 3
first floor windows. Rough stone plinth with central blocked
arch. Ground floor has 2 outer round-arched windows with
6-pane casements and gauged brick arch to head. Moulded
terracotta band; continuous sill band, outer 6/6 sashes, to
centre a triple window has fixed-light multi-pane casement
windows with paired columns with foliate capitals between,
continuous band over, moulded frieze and cornice surmounted by
blind round-arched arcade with short pilasters with foliate
capitals and rubbed brick arches above, brattished frieze,
deep cogged band, cornice and further crowning blind arcade
and cornice. West facade: 1 bay deep with set-back outshut.
Decorative features continue from south facade; ground floor
has round-arched opening; first stage has 6/6 sash. Entrance
to outshut a panelled door with overlight with lettering
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: this sub-station was part of Cheltenham's
first electricity supply (1895). Here 2000 volts was
transformed down to 100 volts at the unusual frequency of 94
Hz. In 1907 the sub-station was converted into electricity
offices, but the building has reverted to its original use as
a sub-station. Cheltenham Civic Society/ Gloucestershire
Society for Industrial Archaeology plaque.
Occupies a good corner site, forming part of a distinguished
group of Victorian buildings (within the Regency new town)
which include the Library, Museum and Art Gallery (qv) and
Church of St Matthew (qv), Clarence Street; and Shaftesbury
Hall, St George's Place (qv).
(Cheltenham Local History Society Journal: Beacham R: The
Clarence Street Palazzo: 1983-).
Listing NGR: SO9468322565
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings