This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9012 / 51°54'4"N
Longitude: -2.0794 / 2°4'45"W
OS Eastings: 394632
OS Northings: 222518
OS Grid: SO946225
Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.P37
Mapcode Global: VH947.XG1X
Entry Name: Shaftesbury Hall
Listing Date: 14 November 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387844
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475836
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Lansdown
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9422NE ST GEORGE'S PLACE
630-1/9/815 (West side)
14/11/88 Shaftesbury Hall
Training college. 1869. Red brick with bands of blue brick and
Bath stone dressings, Welsh slate hipped roofs and 2 tall
brick ridge stacks with cornices. Stylistically plain but with
some Ruskinian Venetian Gothic derivation. U-shaped plan with
central block standing proud and matched wings going back and
forming an internal courtyard.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, 7-bay front: 1-5-1 fenestration, the
outside bays being the gable ends of the rear wings. Paired
1/1 and 2/2 sash windows to outer 4 bays of main range, with
triple window to centre and to recessed sides, pointed heads
to ground and first floors with alternately coloured
voussoirs, and continuous hoodmould to ground floor,
Caernarvon arches to second floor, chamfered sills, brick
mullions, stone heads continuous drip mould to ground and
first floors. Central entrance with stone Venetian porch,
paired columns with foliated capitals, within a part-glazed
door with sidelights and pointed overlight. Dentil cornice on
heavy brackets. Left-hand wing of 8 bays; right-hand of 12
bays, almost all are paired windows. Courtyard elevations
INTERIOR: reported as severely plain with simple stairs.
Originally classrooms below and dormitories above but all now
partitioned. Chamfered lambs' tongue stopped ceiling beams on
stone corbel brackets. Built as the women's hall for the
Church of England teacher training college and used as such
1869-1961. It is thus an early specially designed building for
women's education and is contemporary with Girton College,
The attached hall to the south west is not included.
Occupies a good corner site, forming part of a distinguished
group of Victorian buildings (within the Regency new town)
which include Church of St Matthew (qv) and Library, Museum
and Art Gallery (qv), Clarence Street and Electricity House,
St George's Place (qv).
(Challinor EB: The Story of St Mary's College, Cheltenham:
1978-; List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic
Interest: Department of the Environment: Borough of
Listing NGR: SO9460622540
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings