History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel House

A Grade II Listed Building in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9024 / 51°54'8"N

Longitude: -2.0786 / 2°4'43"W

OS Eastings: 394687

OS Northings: 222651

OS Grid: SO946226

Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.P9D

Mapcode Global: VH947.XFGZ

Entry Name: Chapel House

Listing Date: 5 May 1972

Last Amended: 26 November 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1387857

English Heritage Legacy ID: 475849

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cheltenham

Town: Cheltenham

Electoral Ward/Division: Lansdown

Built-Up Area: Cheltenham

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cheltenham

Listing Text


CHELTENHAM

SO9422NE ST GEORGE'S SQUARE
630-1/9/829 (East side)
05/05/72 Chapel House
(Formerly Listed as:
ST GEORGE'S SQUARE
(East side)
Premises occupied by (Martin Bros
Wines and Spirits) Ltd)

GV II

Formerly known as: Cheltenham Chapel ST GEORGE'S SQUARE.
Includes: No.296 Chapel House HIGH STREET.
Formerly the Cheltenham Chapel, now offices. 1809; with c1980s
extension at rear (not included). Architect, Edward Smith of
Cheltenham. Ashlar front facade, part painted and stuccoed,
with pinkish-brown brick to return, hipped slate roof.
EXTERIOR: front facade of single tall storey, 3 bays, with
4-bay returns. Quoins; 'dado'; upper stage band. Central
entrance, tall double doors in stepped, round-arched surround
with Doric pilasters and keystone. Further outer entrances
with 6-flush-panel doors, cornice and blind overlight, within
full-height, round-arched recesses which have to upper stage a
multi-paned, round-arched window with imposts and keystone.
Wide eaves on brackets. Returns have four similar tall arched
recesses with 15/15 sashes to ground floor on continuous sill
band and multi-paned round-arched windows to upper stage.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: St George's Square was laid out from 1806 on
Rack Close field.
Occupies an important position adjacent to the Bowling Green,
High Street.
(Sampson A and Blake S: A Cheltenham Companion: Cheltenham:
1993-: 23,112).


Listing NGR: SO9468222645

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.