This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8926 / 51°53'33"N
Longitude: -2.0807 / 2°4'50"W
OS Eastings: 394545
OS Northings: 221565
OS Grid: SO945215
Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.8SR
Mapcode Global: VH947.WPDH
Entry Name: Faithfull House (Northern Part) and Attached Area Balustrade
Listing Date: 12 March 1955
Last Amended: 26 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387985
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475981
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: College
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Leckhampton St Philip and St James
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9421NE SUFFOLK SQUARE
630-1/18/875 (East side)
12/03/55 Faithfull House (northern part) and
attached area balustrade
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.14 AND 15)
2 terraced houses, now residential home with attached area
balustrade. c1840s with c1970s conversion. Probably by Edward
Jenkins for developer James Fisher. Stucco over brick with
ashlar porch and concealed roof; iron balconies and area
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys on basement, 6 first-floor windows.
Central 2-window breakforward has fluted Corinthian pilasters
to ends and centre through first and second floors, also outer
end fluted Corinthian pilasters; first-floor band; crowning
dentil entablature. Ground floor has horizontal rustication,
drawn into voussoirs over windows. 6/6 sashes where original
with plain reveals and sills, those to first and second floors
in tooled architraves, those to first floor have frieze and
cornice. Paired central entrances, that to left now blocked
and with sash window, otherwise 4-panel, part-glazed door with
overlight with margin-lights. Flight of 6 roll-edged steps to
5-columnar Corinthian portico with dentil entablature.
INTERIOR: retains many original features including 2 adjoining
dogleg staircases with alternate stick and embellished rod
balusters and wreathed handrails; panelled shutters to some
windows; embellished cornices with grape ceiling friezes.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: first-floor has continuous Carron Company
double-heart-and-anthemion balcony. Area balustrade has double
stylized heart motif.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Suffolk Square occupies land bought by the
Earl of Suffolk from the de la Bere's, on which he built
Suffolk House for his own residence; his daughter later sold
much of the land, on which Suffolk Square now stands. The
Square is shown as planned but not complete on the Post Office
Map of 1820, however Faithful House is not yet marked on
Merrett's Map of 1834. Part of a distinguished group of
buildings in Suffolk Square. Residential home includes
Faithfull House (central and southern part) (qv).
(Chatwin A: Cheltenham's Ornamental Ironwork: Cheltenham:
1975-1984: 46; Merrett HS: Plan of the Town of Cheltenham:
1834-; Blake S: Notes).
Listing NGR: SO9454521565
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings