This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8923 / 51°53'32"N
Longitude: -2.0823 / 2°4'56"W
OS Eastings: 394434
OS Northings: 221534
OS Grid: SO944215
Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.8CP
Mapcode Global: VH947.VPKP
Entry Name: Montpellier House (West Part)
Listing Date: 12 March 1955
Last Amended: 26 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387991
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475987
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: College
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Leckhampton St Philip and St James
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9421NW SUFFOLK SQUARE
630-1/17/880 (South side)
12/03/55 Montpellier House (west part)
(Formerly Listed as:
Also known as: Suffolk Mews SUFFOLK SQUARE.
Villa, now flats. 1832 with later additions and alterations.
Architect: Edward Jenkins. Ashlar over brick with concealed
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys on basement, 7 first-floor windows. End
and centre bays break forwards slightly. End breakforwards
have full-height Ionic pilasters, continuous crowning
entablature. Windows have tooled architraves, those to first
floor are eared, those to ground floor have frieze and
cornice, those to ends with pediments on console brackets and
with acroteria. Chamfered sills. 6/6 sashes where original.
Ionic portico, 2 pairs are fluted, now glazed in; part-glazed
double doors with sidelights and overlight. Right return has 3
+ 1 first-floor windows, (end range slightly lower). End and
centres of main range project; end Ionic and Doric pilasters.
Ground floor has rectangular bay with Doric pilasters and 1/1
sashes, otherwise tripartite windows with 6/6 between 2/2
sashes and 2 blind openings. All in tooled architraves, that
to ground floor has similar pediment to those to main facade.
Rear has 6/9 and 6/6 sashes. Staircase 6/6 sash with radial
glazing bars to head and margin-lights. Hall has embellished
cornice with acanthus modillions.
INTERIOR: retains original features including open-well
staircase with iron balustrade with lozenge and oval motif and
wreathed handrail. Marble fireplaces.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Sir Robert Smirke lived and died here
(1859-1867). Suffolk Square occupies land bought by the Earl
of Suffolk from the de la Bere's, on which he built Suffolk
House for his own residence; his daughter later sold much of
the land on which Suffolk Square now stands to developer James
Fisher. The Square is shown as laid out but not complete on
the Post Office Map of 1820.
Abuts Montpellier House (east part (qv)) to left.
Forms part of a very distinguished group of buildings in
(Blake S: Notes).
Listing NGR: SO9443121514
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings