This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8886 / 51°53'19"N
Longitude: -2.0853 / 2°5'6"W
OS Eastings: 394228
OS Northings: 221122
OS Grid: SO942211
Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.FML
Mapcode Global: VH947.SSZK
Entry Name: Batsford (Number 1) and Mountview (Number 3)
Listing Date: 14 December 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388007
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476004
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Park
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Leckhampton St Philip and St James
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9421SW THE PARK
630-1/22/895 (East side)
14/12/83 Nos.1 AND 3
Batsford (No.1) and Mountview (No.3)
Pair of semi-detached villas. c1830-50 with later additions
and alterations. Stucco over brick with hipped slate roof and
stucco ridge stacks.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys on basement, 2:4:2:1 windows. 4-window
range between recessed 2-window ranges, that to right has
projecting ground-floor porch at angle, porch to left has been
extended and raised to full height; further single-bay range
set back to right. Stucco detailing includes moulded
first-floor sill band; tooled architraves to windows, those to
ground floor have cornices on console brackets. 6/6 sashes
where original, those to far left are tripartite with 2/2
between 2/2 sashes to ground and first floor, that to ground
floor has cornice on console brackets. Basement has 4/8 sashes
where original. Entrances: flights of 8 roll-edged steps to
6-fielded-panel doors with fanlights (blocked to left) in
tooled architrave with keystone and imposts, pilasters have
incised Greek key motif. House to left has further
round-arched opening with blind window and further inserted
entrance to left return. Wide eaves. Returns have round-arched
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: The Park had been laid out by 1833 by its
owner Thomas Billings as an oval tree-lined drive with a
central park which for a short period in the mid-C19 became a
zoological garden. In 1839 the development was bought by
Samuel Daukes who continued the building. One of the principal
developments influenced by White's and Nash's schemes for
Regent's Park (1809-11).
(Sampson A and Blake S: A Cheltenham Companion: Cheltenham:
1993-: 36,92; Merrett HS: Plan of the Town of Cheltenham:
1834-; Girouard M: The English Town: 1990-: 270-271).
Listing NGR: SO9422921127
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings