This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8884 / 51°53'18"N
Longitude: -2.0853 / 2°5'7"W
OS Eastings: 394222
OS Northings: 221096
OS Grid: SO942210
Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.FMN
Mapcode Global: VH947.SSXQ
Entry Name: Eaton Lodge (Cheltenham and Gloucester College of Higher Education)
Listing Date: 18 April 1994
Last Amended: 26 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388010
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476007
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Park
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Leckhampton St Philip and St James
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9421SW THE PARK
630-1/22/898 (East side)
Eaton Lodge (Cheltenham and
Gloucester College of Higher
(Formerly Listed as:
Villa, now college building of Cheltenham and Gloucester
College of Higher Education. c1833-50. Stucco over brick with
hipped slate roof and Cotswold stone basement. Double depth
with central hallway.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys on basement and with attic, 3 first-floor
windows. Stucco detailing includes end rusticated pilasters,
moulded architraves to windows, those to ground floor with
cornices on modillions, moulded first-floor sill band, moulded
band over first floor, crowning cornice. Wide eaves. First
floor has 6/6 sashes. Ground floor has tripartite windows with
2/2 horizontal-pane between 2/2 sashes. Gabled attic dormers
interrupt eaves. Attic and basement have replacement casement
windows. Entrance: flight of steps with balustrade to central
3-panel door (upper panels fielded, lower flush) with
sidelights and overlight with margin-lights, within doorcase
of Doric pilasters, frieze and cornice with flattened
'pediment'. Rear retains tall staircase sash with
INTERIOR: retains plasterwork including frieze to hall with
egg-and-dart cornice, and room to left has cornice and vine
ceiling frieze; joinery includes 6-panel doors, open-well
staircase with rod and bobbin balusters and run-out handrail
with lion's paw foot; otherwise not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: The Park had been laid out by 1833, by its
owner Thomas Billings, as an oval tree-lined drive with a
central park which, for a short period in the mid-C19, became
a zoological garden. In 1839 the development was bought by
architect Samuel Daukes who continued the building. This was
one of the principal developments influenced by White's and
Nash's schemes for Regent's Park, London (1809-11). Eton Lodge
(originally known as Eton Villa) became Eton Lodge Hotel in
1942 and was taken over by St Mary's College in 1956.
It holds an important position on the edge of The Park, an
important development of mid-C19 villas.
(Sampson A and Blake S: A Cheltenham Companion: Cheltenham:
1993-: 36,92; Merrett HS: Plan of the Town of Cheltenham:
1834-; Girouard M: The English Town: 1990-: 270-271).
Listing NGR: SO9422221096
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings