This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8881 / 51°53'16"N
Longitude: -2.0855 / 2°5'7"W
OS Eastings: 394212
OS Northings: 221058
OS Grid: SO942210
Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.MKL
Mapcode Global: VH947.SSVZ
Entry Name: Clarendon and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 12 March 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388011
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476008
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Park
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Leckhampton St Philip and St James
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9421SW THE PARK
630-1/22/899 (East side)
Clarendon and attached railings
Villa and attached railings. c1834-8 with later additions and
alterations including c1970s single-storey range at rear.
Stucco over brick with concealed roof, left end stucco stack
and iron railings.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys on basement and attics to rear, 3
first-floor windows, with 2-low-storey service range to rear.
Stucco detailing includes plinth surmounted by end Doric
pilasters and fluted Ionic pilasters at first floor to central
breakforward; horizontal rustication to ground floor, tooled
first-floor band; windows have tooled architraves, those to
first floor have sills on feet and cornices on console
brackets, with pediment on consoles to centre window. Flight
of 6 roll-edged steps to central entrance a 4-fielded-panel
door with overlight with margin glazing bars within distyle
Doric porch with engaged pilasters, architrave has frieze with
wreaths, cornice and blocking course. Ground floor windows are
tall 8/8 sashes. First floor has 6/6 sashes. Blind boxes
remain. Basement has 4/8 sashes. Rear retains 6/6 and 8/8
sashes. Attic dormers have late C20 casement windows.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: railings to sides of steps have scrolled
HISTORICAL NOTE: The Park had been laid out by 1833 by its
owner Thomas Billings as an oval tree-lined drive with a
central park which for a short period in the mid-C19 became a
zoological garden. In 1839 the development was bought by
Samuel Daukes who continued the building. This is one of the
principal developments influenced by White's and Nash's
schemes for Regent's Park in London (1809-11).
(Sampson A and Blake S: A Cheltenham Companion: Cheltenham:
1993-: 36,92; Girouard M: The English Town: 1990-: 270-271).
Listing NGR: SO9421221058
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings