This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8866 / 51°53'11"N
Longitude: -2.0873 / 2°5'14"W
OS Eastings: 394091
OS Northings: 220895
OS Grid: SO940208
Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.M3V
Mapcode Global: VH947.RVX3
Entry Name: Broadlands House (Cheltenham and Gloucester College)
Listing Date: 14 December 1983
Last Amended: 26 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388014
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476011
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Park
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Leckhampton St Philip and St James
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9420NW THE PARK
630-1/26/902 (West side)
Broadlands House (Cheltenham and
(Formerly Listed as:
Villa, now college. c1833-60. Stucco over brick with hipped
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys on basement with attic, 3 first-floor
windows. Stucco detailing throughout includes plinth, quoins
to angles, moulded first-floor band, moulded frieze;
ground-floor windows have cornice on console brackets; to
front facade, windows have tooled architraves. Central
entrance, flight of 6 roll-edged steps to 4-panel door (upper
round-arched fielded panels), with round-arched sidelights and
cambered overlight with margin-lights and coloured glass,
within solid porch with round-arched opening on imposts with
tooled arch to head, Doric pilasters to angles, tooled frieze
and dentil cornice, blocking course; round-arched windows to
sides. 2/2 sashes where original. Wide eaves on brackets.
Gabled attic dormers interrupt eaves and have 1/1 sashes.
Returns and rear have 5 first-floor windows. 2/2 sashes to
first floor and 1/1 sashes to ground floor. Blind boxes and
louvred shutters remain to rear and to left return.
Conservatory to rear interrupts 3 ground-floor windows.
INTERIOR: retains contemporary fittings including: open-well
staircase with iron balusters with ornate scrolled balusters
and wreathed handrail; ceiling cornices and roses, shutters,
etc. Painted Egyptian frieze in hall now partly covered by
HISTORICAL NOTE: The Park had been laid out by 1833 by its
owner Thomas Billings as an oval tree-lined drive with a
central park which for a short period in the mid-C19 became a
zoological garden. In 1839 the development was bought by
Samuel Daukes who continued the building. This is one of the
principal developments influenced by White's and Nash's design
for Regent's Park in London (1809-11). Until 1895 Broadlands
House was known as Fulwood House. Its C19 owners included Genl
C Fuller of the Royal Regiment of Artillery, and Surgeon Major
J Newton of the Indian Medical Service. During the Second
World War it was owned by St Mary's College and occupied by
the Ministry of Labour.
(Sampson A and Blake S: A Cheltenham Companion: Cheltenham:
1993-: 36; Merrett HS: Plan of the Town of Cheltenham: 1834-;
Sampson A: The Historic Buildings of Cheltenham and Gloucester
College: 1991-; Girouard M: The English Town: 1990-: 270-271).
Listing NGR: SO9408820892
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings