This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8852 / 51°53'6"N
Longitude: -2.0876 / 2°5'15"W
OS Eastings: 394069
OS Northings: 220741
OS Grid: SO940207
Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.M24
Mapcode Global: VH947.RWR5
Entry Name: Park Lawn (Number 31) and Springfield Lawn (Number 33) and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 5 May 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388020
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476017
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Park
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Leckhampton St Philip and St James
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9420NW THE PARK
630-1/26/908 (South East side)
05/05/72 Nos.31 AND 33
Park Lawn (No.31) and Springfield
Lawn (No.33) and attached railings
Pair of semi-detached villas with attached area and dividing
railings. c1833-50. Ashlar over brick with concealed roof,
stucco central ridge stack and iron balustrades.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys on basement, with attics to rear, 7
first-floor windows arranged 1:1:3:1:1, with central and end
breakforwards; further blind bay well set back at left.
Flights of 5 roll-edged steps to end entrances, 4-panel,
part-glazed doors with overlights with margin-glazing within
solid porches with paired pilasters, architrave, frieze and
cornice surmounted by balustrade with pierced X-motif, forming
balcony to first-floor window. 6/6 sashes throughout, taller
to ground floor, all in plain reveals and with sills, those to
3 central ground-floor windows and that to blind bay at left
have cornices on consoles, otherwise panels over. Crowning
frieze, cornice, low parapet, further frieze and cornice and
blocking course. Basement has 1/1 sashes. Left return has
central full-height canted bay with 6/6 sash and 2/2 sashes,
to first floor between blind window and 6/6 sash both with
cornices on consoles. Rear retains 6/6 and 8/8 sashes; attics
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: area railings have X-motif. Verandah to
canted bay on left return has slender Doric columns,
balustrade has Carron Company heart-and-anthemion motif.
Dividing arrowhead railings have bars and dogbars.
HISTORICAL NOTE: General Sir James Grant (1808-75) lived at
The Park had been laid out by 1833 by its owner Thomas
Billings as an oval, tree-lined drive with a central park
which, for a short period in the mid-C19, became a zoological
garden. In 1839 the development was bought by Samuel Daukes
who continued the building. This is one of the principal
developments influenced by White's and Nash's schemes for
Regent's Park (1809-11), London. A very distinguished villa
(Sampson A and Blake S: A Cheltenham Companion: Cheltenham:
1993-: 36,92; Merrett HS: Plan of the Town of Cheltenham:
1834-; Girouard M: The English Town: 1990-: 270-271).
Listing NGR: SO9406320735
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings